The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Support Officer, the Project Associate is to support the transactional projects in the day-to-day operations of the projects. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals, in the area of project management. S/he must be able to apply, independently, the below duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria
Summary of functions
- Support implementation of operational strategies
- Portfolio planning, administration and management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results;
Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of programme/project management, financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up, human resources management, procurement processes and implementation of the effective internal control framework.
Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Programme/Project Management, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Ensures efficient and effective portfolio planning, administration and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support of all aspects of project implementation and service delivery in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations; Monitoring of progress for all projects/services agreements under his/her responsibility, anticipating operational and budgetary issues and taking preemptive action.
- Interaction with colleagues, clients and partners and undertaking of missions, as may be required, to guide operational issues and UNOPS service provision. Resolution of operational and process issues, referring complex issues to supervisor with clear recommendations for courses of action. Review of service requests, assessment of their complexity, level of effort and UNOPS service fee levels for compliance with the UNOPS self-financing principle, and feedback prior to acceptance of projects for execution and/or service requests. Preparation of service request documents and analysis of submissions for project and/or UNOPS service acceptance.
- Fostering of client relationships.
- Support in the provision of operational, budgetary and financial guidance to project personnel.Assisting in preparation of project budgets and revisions and other related documents.
- Support in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required. Provide support in the preparation of contracts for services, memoranda of agreement, interagency agreement, grant agreements.
- Monitoring of expenditures and advice to clients/partners and funding agencies on budget status.
- Provide support in interview panels with view to staff selection and recruitment; Identification of consultants/experts, initiation of recruitment and preparation of TOR. Processing of all administrative requirements (e.g. funding source, clearances, and documentation) and request to Global Service Centre and/or integrated teams, to undertake recruitment action; follow-up to completion.
- Support in verification of accuracy of request/transactions and completeness of documentation
- Initiation of action and certification for approval at the higher level as may be required. Monitoring of expenditures, regularly informing supervisor and clients of budget status and any need to reallocate resources to meet objectives.
- Planning, organization and implementation of training, conference and all necessary logistics.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing materials as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities.
- Any other duties as assigned
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project and service activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Coaching and/or mentoring of colleagues on portfolio management and service administration and encouraging feedback to lead to process improvement and standardization.
- Publication and sharing of information and knowledge with colleagues, clients and partners.
- Participation in the trainings for the programme, operations and projects staff on programme/project management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Secondary education required. A higher qualification such as a Bachelors degree, is a distinct advantage, and may be accepted in lieu of applicable years of experience.
- 6 years’ experience in similar position required, preferably with direct experience in managing service delivery and working directly with clients,
- Previous experience in managing transactional projects is preferred
- Fluency in English is required.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Financial Reporting skills - (required)
- Operational Transactions skills - (required)
- Project Management Support skills - (required)
- Word Processing/Spreadsheets skills - (optional)
- Budgeting skills - (optional)
- Support Services skills - (optional)
- ERP experience skills - (optional)
- Record Management skills - (optional)
- Contract Management skills - (optional)
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Prince2 Foundation Certifications is an asset.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) career website on jobs.unops.org to apply