The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
Below are some of the functionalities.
- Assists the Programme Management Office (PMO) Team with clerical and administrative duties relating to projects including but not limited to monitoring of all budgetary, financial, procurement, HR and routine administration of service delivery;
- In close collaboration with the supervisor, responsible for budget entry and revisions in oneUNOPS;
- Drafting of project communications and reporting, checking documents for accuracy and compliance with UNOPS format and style;
- Drafting of authorizations and contracts for service activities;
- Maintenance of accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all operational and financial transactions for easy reference and retrieval; document management, including file closures, archiving.
- Assist with review of consultant Terms of Reference; initiation of recruitment on receipt of client/supervisor clearance; initiation of procurement actions through a requisition on receipt of client / supervisor clearance
- Maintenance of a contract tracking plan, reviewing sub-contractor invoices and supporting documentation to ensure that services provided are in conformity with the terms of the contract.
- Administrative arrangements (e.g. logistics) for conferences.
- Preparation of briefing materials as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities and status as guided
- Interaction with colleagues, clients and partners to exchange information on administrative issues and seek co-operation. Resolution of routine administrative and process problems, referring complex issues to supervisor with recommendations for course of action.
- Input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Project Support Officer or the PMO Team Leader
Monitoring and Progress Controls
(Clear description of measurable outputs, milestones, key performance indicators and/or reporting requirements which will enable performance monitoring)
- Proper maintenance of a contract tracking plan, purchase orders, reviewing sub-contractor invoices and supporting documentation to ensure that services provided are in conformity with the terms of the contract. Continuously provide assistance with clerical and administrative duties relating to projects.
- Procurement actions initiated, requisitions raised in a timely manner (upon receipt of client / supervisor clearance).
- Tracking tools (for monitoring budgetary, financial, procurement, HR and routine administration of service delivery) updated in a timely manner
- Accurate and timely budget entries and revisions in oneUNOPS.
- Project communications and reports done as delegated, and compliant with UNOPS format and style;
- Authorizations and contracts for service activities prepared in a timely and accurate manner
- Accurate records (hardcopy and online) maintained and easily retrieved
- Resolution of routine administrative and process problems, referring complex issues to supervisor with recommendations for course of action.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- ERP experience skills - (optional)
- Financial reporting skills - (optional)
- Budgeting skills - (optional)
- Budgeting - (optional)
- Record management skllis - (required)
- Communications and contract management skills - (required)
- Operational transactions skills - (required)
- Support services skills - (required)
- Project management support skills - (required)
- Word Processing/Spreadsheets - (required)
- Secondary education required. A higher qualification such as a Bachelors degree, is a distinct advantage, and may be accepted in lieu of applicable years of experience.
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience in record management, contract management, support services project, management support and word processing/spreadsheets is required. A Bachelor’s degree may substitute for some or all the required years of experience.
- Experience working in financial reporting, operational transactions and will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of ERP (Peoplesoft/oneUNOPS) systems is desire
- Excellent working knowledge of written and spoken English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: 1 Year (renewable subject to performance and availability of funds)
This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyans or persons with valid residence permits
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) career website on www.impactpool.org to apply