The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
Working under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director, Governance Affairs Office, the consultant is expected to perform the following tasks:
Objectives, output expectations and performance indicators
The Work Will Comprise The Following Tasks
- Support the preparations for inter-governmental meetings, such as the third session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-3) and related activities by:
- Coordinating all logistical and administrative duties related to the preparations of intergovernmental meetings, such as the open-ended Committee of Permanent Representatives and UNEA-3, in collaboration with UNON Conference Services;
- Providing oversight of registration of delegates, in collaboration with UNON Security; and
- Planning and ensuring proper protocol arrangements in coordinating official visits of senior governmental officials and receipt of visiting dignitaries at airports, in collaboration with Airport Authorities.
2. Support the meetings and events of the UNEA’s engagement with the private sector by:
- Servicing the events, taking notes of the proceedings and producing substantive notes on outcomes of those events; and
- ensuring the production of reports/minutes of meetings and the distribution to the governments and other stakeholders.
Ultimate Result Of Services
- Result 1: Successful contribution of the inter-governmental meetings, such as the Open-ended Committee of Permanent Representatives and UNEA-3 and related events.
- Result 2: Improved registration process for all meetings and events organized by Governance Affairs Office.
- Result 3: Improved communication and outreach with partners, clients and other stakeholders
- A master`s degree in a relevant field such asDevelopment Studies related discipline, Development Studies, Law or and/ similar related field is required.
- A first- level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Environmental Sciences related discipline, Development Studies, Law or and/ a course closely related to the nature of the position may be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree.
- At least two years’ experience working with a Government institution, international organization and/or private sector is required;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to multi-task duties and apply practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong ability to work and interact well with diverse groups.
- Excellent working knowledge of written and spoken English is required
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and particular those related to work of the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related unites. Ability to identify and resolve a range of issues/problems and to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standards sources. Ability to apply judgement in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities and remain calm in stressful situations
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Drafting skills - (required)
- Report writing skills - (required)
- Analytical skills - (required)
- Communication skills - (required)
- Communications Support skills - (required)
- Administrative support skills - (required)
- Inter-agency coordination skills - (required)
- Research skills - (required)
- Managing outreach programmes skills - (optional)
- Conferences & event administration skills - (optional)
- Event and conference management skills - (optional)
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) career website on www.impactpool.org to apply