Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) was established in 1965 as a business membership organization with a mandate to protect and develop the interests of the business community in Kenya. KNCCI is also an affiliate member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) & the World Chamber Federation (WCF).
As a consultant of Research, Policy and Advocacy, duties will include overseeing the development & implementation of advocacy strategies of the organization.
This includes developing and executing a strategic government relations plan on both county and national levels, as well as advocating on behalf of KNCCI and its members to ensure policies, legislation and regulation are conducive to a positive and successful business environment.
- Create and monitor an Annual Legislative Agenda
- Coordinate Research, Policy and Advocacy activity in conjunction with KNCCI’s mission, vision, and annual legislative agenda
- Represent KNCCI’s interests at public meetings and forums as necessary and advocate KNCCI’s interests as applicable to the adoption and enactment of public policies by both National and County governments and agencies maintaining communication with those public and private sector officials involved, specifically maintaining strong relations with and a presence before the General Assembly
- Develop work plans and plans of action for Public Policy consistent with KNCCI’s Strategic Plan.
- Keep informed of issues that may affect KNCCI members by monitoring business and legislative news in newspapers and reports of legislative sessions and other governmental agencies
- Responsible for public relations initiatives required to promote KNCCI’s values, plans, policies and interests
- Prepare and transmit other communications as necessary to keep KNCCI members informed of issues and actions as appropriate and contribute to other internal and external communication including Kenya Chamber magazine, newsletters, emails, website and Board of Directors reports.
- Maintain a presence in such places as required to promote KNCCI’s interest and lobby on their behest at both county and national levels. Working closely with committees requiring advocacy
- Arrange meetings, conferences, receptions and other outreach programs necessary to advocate the KNCCI’s interests and /or issues based promotions or to facilitate information exchange between members and government and/or community entities and promote and augment the member value of the organisation’s advocacy program.
- Draft, vet and implement the KNCCI’s annual legislative accountability programs for both National and County governments.
- Perform research projects and prepare policy papers and advocacy briefs as appropriate to advance the KNCCI’s advocacy platform and support initiatives to the Parliamentary Committee.
- Preparing and marketing proposals for fundraising projects
- Overseeing the fulfillment of donor-funded advocacy projects
- Identify and develop collaborative relationships with key stakeholders in private sector, National & County government and civil society
- A bachelor’s degree in management, development studies, public policy, journalism, law or related field.
- Advanced degree is desirable but not required for this position.
- 3-5 years’ experience in planning, managing and implementing advocacy projects.
- Experience working with policymakers and advocates at a National and County level.
- Demonstrable understanding of business environment issues, policies & initiatives
- Passion/interest in economy and business sector issues
- Ample knowledge of the advocacy process
- Experience of producing policy paper on business issues
- Demonstrated familiarity with the national legal and policy framework related to business issues, economy, national policies and government initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to develop and carry out advocacy activities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with stakeholders.
- Development of advocacy concept notes & proposals for funding
- Exhibit a total commitment to maintaining high quality service standards of KNCCI; dem
- Exhibit a total commitment to maintaining high quality service standards of KNCCI; demonstrate service excellence skills in dealing proactively with members and all KNCCI contacts.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit CV and a writing sample of an advocacy issue you have prepared to Doreen Micheu HR@kenyachamber.or.ke by Friday, October 13, 2017. The email subject should read RESEARCH, POLICY AND ADVOCACY CONSULTANT ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.