The Commission for University Education was established by an Act of Parliament, Universities Act, No. 42 of 2012 as the successor to the Commission for Higher Education which was established under Universities Act Cap 210B of 1985. This was to address the need to regulate, coordinate and assure quality in university education as a result of growth and expansion of the university sub sector in Kenya. The Commission was established as a body corporate to make better provisions for the advancement of quality university education in the country.
CUE is seeking a results oriented, self-driven individual with high integrity to fill a vacant position in the Internal Audit & Risk Department. The Officer at this level will head the Internal Audit & Risk Department and will report functionally to the Audit, Risk and Compliance (ARC) Committee of the Commission Board and administratively to the Commission Secretary/CEO.
- Reviewing the implementation of the internal control framework in the Commission;
- Co-coordinating the development of the Commission risk management framework.
- Leading in the development of a risk-based annual internal audit work plan;
Initiating and formulating Internal Audit policies and analyzing the impact of Internal Audit policies and regulations;
- Developing new initiatives aimed at improving Internal Audit Operational efficiencies;
- Analyzing the impact of Internal Audit policies and regulations;
- Articulating Internal Audit issues to internal customers;
- Executing proposals to integrate ICT into viable Internal Audit Operations;
- Compiling the department’s annual budget;
- Carrying out special audits as requested by the Commission or the Audit Committee
- Assisting in the investigations on any suspected fraudulent and corrupt activities within the Commission;
- Coordinating audit efforts with external audits;
- Providing secretarial services to the Audit Risk and Compliance Committee;
- Ensuring training and development and appraisal of Audit Staff
- Preparing timely and accurate audit reports for presentation to the Management and Audit Committee;
- Ensuring implementation of Audit recommendations; and
- Confirming compliance with statutes, regulations and government guidelines.
- Served for a minimum period of three (3) years as Assistant Commission Secretary, Internal Audit (Grade CUE 11) or its equivalent in the public or private sector;
- Relevant Masters and Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: Economics, Commerce (Finance and Accounting Options), Business Administration (Accounting Option), Business Management, or equivalent qualifications from recognized institutions with five years’ experience in management;
- Certified Public Accountant CPA (K) or Certified Internal Auditors (CIA) certification or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Be a registered member of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) or the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA),
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Demonstrate professional competence and achievement of performance targets and results;
- Show outstanding professional competence and administrative capability as well as initiative in general organization and management;
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of National goals, policies and development objectives and ability to align them to CUEs mandate.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should forward their applications by post, courier, hand delivery or to firstname.lastname@example.org, enclosing current and detailed CV, copies of relevant academic and professional certificates and testimonials, details of day time contacts, current and expected remuneration, notice period required to take up the appointment if successful, names and contacts of three (3) professional referees. The candidates MUST present the following clearances during the interview:-
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Ethics and Anti – Corruption Commission (EACC) Clearance
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) Clearance
- Valid Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) Clearance
- Valid KRA Tax Compliance Certificate
All applications MUST have the job reference number clearly marked on the envelope so as to reach the office of the Commission Secretary on or before 31st October, 2017. CUE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Youth, Women and Persons Living with Disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. Any form of canvassing will lead to disqualification. NB: Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted. ALL applications should be addressed to: The Commission Secretary/Chief Executive Officer, Commission for University Education, Red Hill Road, Off Limuru Road, Gigiri, P.O. Box 54999-00200, NAIROBI, KENYA