If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
Reporting To: Field Manager
Start Date: 16th October, 2017
Location: Nairobi with frequent travel to other Counties
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action:
The Principal Investigators for this project are Anthony Keats (Wesleyan University), Michael Kremer (Harvard University) Isaac Mbiti (University of Virginia) and Owen Ozier (World Bank).
About the Position:
The Associate Field Manager under the general supervision of the Field Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures, coordinates the facilitation of field and office activities and functions within IPAK.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Associate Field Manager, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Field Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Field Managers to develop work schedules before any field activities begins while ensuring teams are well prepared.
- Train and manage the field teams that conduct the Bridge surveys and test assessments and doing sit-ins and spot checks during field work to ensure proper implementation.
- Oversee and monitor the process of inviting respondents to the test centres and home visit follow-ups ensuring compliance with protocols.
- Coordinate timely collection of quality data by overseeing teams collecting parent and pupil surveys, pupil assessments and other scheduled activities ensuring study protocol are met.
- Do frequent and random spot checks in the field to monitor Senior Field Officers and Field Officers, allocating duties and providing daily field updates and feedback to the Field Manager.
- Develop a feedback program for field activities to the Field Manager and help keep a project log.
- Directly supervise a team of 5-10 Senior Field Officers and 20-30 Field Officers in the office/field, managing their work, and ensuring IPA survey protocols are adhered to.
- Support the project in ensuring all required approvals are acquired on time.
- Ensure safe custody of all project equipment and supplies and maintain accurate and up to date inventory for project items reporting directly to the Field Manager.
- Supervise allocation of respondent gifts to Senior Field Officers and Field offices and ensure accountability for the same.
- Communicate regularly with management team submitting weekly update reports.
- Other duties related to project implementation and administrative tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- College diploma or university degree in Social Sciences, Education, Economics, Statistics or equivalent qualifications.
- Excellent Oral and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Previous experience working with caregivers and children with the ability to handle and speak with people from diverse cultural back grounds.
- At least one year of field management experience for degree holders and 2 years for diploma holders. Extensive experience supervising, designing and implementing data collection and/or field work activities, and managing teams of enumerators is preferred.
- Experience with data collection using both paper surveys and CAI.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Knowledge in STATA and Survey CTO programming will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the team with good interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility in travelling and work assignments.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) career website on poverty-action.formstack.com to apply