Few companies founded in 1902 are still going from strength to strength. Fewer still are leaders in more than 55 markets. And with one billion adult smokers around the world, we manufacture the cigarettes chosen by around one in eight of them. We take our business and our impact very seriously.
British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for a Legal&External Affairs Paralegal to join our team in Nairobi.
The position is to play a primary role in the establishment and ongoing management of Records across the ECAA business, including developing policies, ensuring appropriate procedures of retention, indexing and destruction are in place and providing training to all levels of the business. The role will also be active in implementing the broader compliance program across the business, managing the local provident fund requirements and board, and providing extensive support to company secretarial and corporate governance.
- Records Management
- Create, Set-up and Manage RM (Records Management) storage facilities in ECCA sites and ensure Records Management Storage Databases in the depositories are in line with the BAT storage policy standards
- Apply all retention schedules to all records and manage destruction process in accordance with Hold Order requirements
- Develop appropriate local RM policies and procedures in line with Global company standards and legal requirements.
- Interpret and explain existing RM policy and ensure compliance with applicable local legislation and regulations as they relate to RM.
- Assist the Legal Counsels in implementing the RMP. Ensure training and advice is provided to existing ECA employees at all levels within the organisation with regards to RMP and introduce RM Induction programme to new recruits
- Ensure the Critical Records Schedule is always up-to-date
- Develop new material to promote a better understanding of the RMP for all staff within ECA ensuring that the Control List and RM procedures are up to date and communicated.
- Company Secretarial & Corporate Governance Support
- Provide robust support in Company secretarial matters, to all BAT Group area entities
- Management/Organization of board meetings inclusive of the annual general meetings.
- Collation & preparation of board papers ensuring timely circulation to all directors prior to board meetings.
- Ensure statutory deadlines are met on filing of annual returns, dispatch of annual financial statements to shareholders and regulatory bodies entitled to receive it.
- Management of shareholder matters and complaints in liaison with the Company’s Share Registrar.
- Liaison with the Company Secretary on updating all Company Registers
- Provident Fund Support
- Support to the BAT Provident Funds’ Trust Secretary in all areas including AGM; Board Meetings; Approvals & Payments; Member Issues; and Trustee Trainings.
- Compliance Program
- Embedding SOBC Compliance within the organization through training and sign offs during recruitment and annual refresher process.
- Maintaining all disclosure and conflicts registers.
- Reviewing and developing local policies to ensure alignment with the current business structure and global requirements.
- Support policies cascade process within the business.
- University degree from a recognised University
- At least 3 years’ experience working as an Executive Assistant, Paralegal or other senior support function role in a law firm or a legal function in a multinational organisation or other large consultancy firm.
- Diplomatic and tactful in dealing with team members and external stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively at all levels within the organisation
- High level of literacy, computer literacy and attention to detail
- Project Management skills
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage
- A degree or post graduate diploma in Law is desirable.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to British American Tobacco (BAT) career website on krb-xjobs.brassring.com to apply