If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Population Reference Bureau informs people around the world about population, health, and the environment, and empowers them to use that information to advance the well-being of current and future generations.
Kenya consultant for county health financing and advocacy:
Purpose of consultancy:
PRB seeks the services of a consultant technical specialist in health financing and advocacy, to support the roll out of the PACE Kenya Yr. 3 county component for Narok and Busia counties and contribute to building the capacity of the PACE Kenya team. The consultant will provide technical support on all health budget advocacy activities on the PACE Kenya workplan. Drawing on his/her experience in health financing and public financial management, the consultant will guide the strategic direction of the programme’s work on health budget advocacy, particularly for family planning, ensuring that it is evidence based, technically sound, and appropriately contextualised.
The consultant will also support the development of technical resources such as training materials, fact sheets, and how-to guides to support effective budget advocacy efforts by Narok and Busia Civil Society Organizations (CSOs).
Working closely with the Kenya PACE team, the consultant will ensure quality work on health budget analysis and budget advocacy and provide strategic support to guide related activities and provide remote and in-person capacity building to strengthen the teams’ ability to advocate for increased spending on health, particularly family planning and adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health.
- Technical support on health budget advocacy to PACE Kenya team and CSOs.
- Develop training materials and other technical resources to guide PACE Kenya on how to undertake budget related advocacy.
- Work with PACE Kenya team to support Narok and Busia CSOs to more effectively engage in national accountability platforms with a special focus on GFF.
- Lead development of presentations/briefs for the counties and USAID monthly briefings.
- Build skills of the PACE team (Kenya and US home office) in budget analysis and budget advocacy to ensure the implementation of high quality evidence-based approaches.
- Support the development of key technical outputs such as budget advocacy strategies; advocacy and communications materials; PowerPoint presentations for high-level meetings; and monitoring reports.
- Ensure quality key technical outputs relating to health budget advocacy.
- Provide technical support to implement county advoca cy activities including:
- Support the CHMT to review evidence to inform the MTEF process and carry out training to strengthen capacity of the CHMT.
- Work with county stakeholders generate consensus on health sector priorities for FP and AYSRH.
- Support advocacy activities with the county assembly and budget committee to ensure that FP and AYSRH are embedded as health sector priorities.
- Strategic support to the design and implementation of PACE health budget advocacy programme in Kenya.
- Support the PACE Kenya teams to effectively implement PACE Project advocacy and accountability approaches in Kenya to generate increased investment in RMNCAH, including Family Planning (FP), at the county level.
- Lead the PACE Kenya team in preparing GFF proposals for Narok and Busia Counties.
- Contribute to continuous learning and use of best practices in health budget advocacy among county teams by sharing regular updates on key events and latest materials.
- Assist the Kenya team in preparing reports to USAID on county health financing work
- Complete timely entry of MLE data/reports.
- Support relevant county health financing sections of PACE monthly, quarterly, and annual reports through written inputs and technical review.
- Ensure quality key technical outputs on PACE M&E indicators.
Desired Qualifications: An MSc in health economics, policy and health financing, financial management, health management, or related field.
- Experience in health financing and public financial management
- Experience providing technical support to the annual planning and budget process within a ministry of health or local health authority
- Experience in budget tracking and budget analysis for use in decision-making and/or advocacy
- Solid understanding of health systems including the relationship between national and decentralized levels
- Experience in evidence-based advocacy for improved health outcomes
- Experience of packaging and communicating information for different audiences in an engaging way.
- Knowledge of family planning and/or reproductive maternal neonatal child and adolescent health (RMNCAH)
Timeline: This consultancy is expected to start on Dec. 1, 2017 and end on Mar. 30th, 2018 with the possibility of renewal.
Department: International Programs.
Reports to the Regional Technical Advisor for East Africa and Kenya Country Lead
Location: based in Nairobi with regular/frequent travel to Narok and Busia counties
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Population Reference Bureau career website on www.infinityhr.com to apply