If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 24 sections and offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates.
The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman.
The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Nairobi Branch office has identified a new Office Location, and intends to move the current office by end of March 2018, and handing over the current premises back to the owner by/before 30th April 2018.
The main objective for this position will be to ensure that the change/move of office is done effectively and efficiently, and that all processes and activities linked to moving of the office and hand over of the current premises are done within the defined timelines.
She/he will be working closely with local suppliers, constructors, designers and together with the technical expertise from Barcelona to ensure that the project is delivered within the time required and with the expected quality.
The post is located in the Nairobi Branch office under supervision of the Office & HR Coordinator, and functionally supported/managed by the Facilities Management Coordinator in Barcelona.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Carry out the review of the current service contracts, and identify needs for new contracts of supply for various services, activity license, etc. that are necessary for a proper operation.
- Engage with the service providers to ensure that smooth transition occurs for all activities, and guaranteed support after completion of the works.
- Review the inventory of office materials to ensure proper orders as per the specific needs identified.
- Engage with various departments/staff to ensure specifications and requirements are met.
- Carry out the procurement of (new/additional) furniture and fittings to meet and address the needs of the office.
- Validate all invoices and ensure compliance with the supply/procurement policies.
- Coordinate with the Barcelona unit of ITC together with the service providers for the installation of network services and IP telephony to the required standards.
- Implement and foresee mitigation interventions for any damage that may arise to get compensation in the shortest possible time, either with direct intervention or through third parties.
- Manage maintenance and repairs out sourced to outside firms so that they meet the requirements of MSF and quality standards established in contracts.
- Contract and deal with the company responsible for security and intrusion and fire alarm.
- Periodically review the facilities to ensure works are ongoing without delays as stipulated in the contract.
- Support the heads of departments and coordinator of the unit with the space management tasks.
- Prepare for and manage storage requirements.
- Optimize the management of material resources of the office.
- Supervise the activities of outside firms to ensure compliance with the contract conditions and the success thereof, in accordance with procedures defined by the Procurement and Supply.
- Report to the supervisor on regular basis and transmitting all necessary and relevant information to facilitate decision-making. Provide updates to the team on progress made and adjust timelines where necessary.
- Oversee the transfer/movement of the office to the new location, engaging the team, and working directly/closely with the service providers to ensure that operations of the Branch office are not adversely affected.
- Work closely with the contractors involved in the renovations of the current office to ensure that works are completed as specified, and ensure a proper hand over of the property.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Training related to the position (engineer, architect, technical architect)
- Experience in project management will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Swahili Language is a plus
- Experience with use of Autocad
- Computer user level (Windows environment).
- Multidisciplinary and cross-cultural communication
- Teamwork, enthusiasm and high motivation
- Process and strategic vision
- Systemic problem solving (systems/design thinking)
- Autonomous, proactive self-management
- Experience and comfort in low-resource settings (accommodation and travelling)
- Knowledgeable in the international humanitarian context
- Behavioural flexibility
- Planning and organization
- Results and quality orientation
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Salary and benefits according to the OCBA Nairobi policy
- Position will be based in Nairobi
- Expected to start beginning of December
- Temporary contract running for a period of 5 months
Method of Application
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter as a single file by 24th November, under the reference Log project Manager to MSFE-RRHH-NBO@barcelona.msf.org