ACTED launched its Kenya mission in January of 2008 with an emergency assistance program for residents in Nairobi slums affected by the post-election violence. Since 2009, Nairobi has also been the home base of ACTED’s relief operation in South-Central Somalia.
In 2015, ACTED has been delivering emergency as well as long term development programming across the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands and is focussed on Early Warning, Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience interventions. Main activities have included strengthening its Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) and improving and integrating community and County Early Warning Systems (EWS). A special emphasis has been placed on its work with the County Governments and the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) in order to improve coordination, financing, information sharing, dissemination and learning on emergency preparedness and response.
In 2015, ACTED’s operations in Somalia are focused on Food Security, Livelihood, WASH, and Multi-sector Resilience programming. ACTED has the capacity to deliver immediate emergency programming and longer term development, incorporating Social Safety Net and Disaster Risk Reduction components. ACTED is a leading player in the delivery of cash transfers programming.
ACTED’s interventions aim to support those districts which are underserved, difficult to access, and display high levels of vulnerability. ACTED is operational in Bay, Gedo and Lower Juba Regions. In some of these areas, ACTED is the only INGO present and therefore high security risks are experienced because of Al Shabab presence.
- Grant Management
- Contract follow-up
- Communicate contractual obligations in particular with regards to reporting deadlines to Programme, AMEU and FLATS team;
- When any issue is identified in meeting deliverables in the given timeframe and budget, inform relevant staff in country and seek ACTED HQ Program Department advice on potential solutions that would meet donor rules.
- Participate in and take minutes of kick-off and close out meetings for each project
- Write quality narrative reports, reflecting the progress and status of projects in a transparent, timely and professional manner, in liaison with ACTED HQ GMU and finance, which will contribute ultimately to steady cash inflow;
- Work in close relation with AMEU to incorporate AME data (incl. data on input, process, output, outcome and impact indicators, lessons learnt and best practices) in reports and review M&E reports from AMEU;
- Liaise with FLATS teams when preparing reports, especially with finance to ensure greater coherence between financial and narrative reports by crosschecking the matching of data in the narrative and financial reports;
- Contribute to the monthly update of the Reporting Follow Up (RFU) and ensure smooth and regular communication with ACTED HQ GMU.
- Address ad hoc requests from donors in liaison with the CD, Programme and support teams.
- Partner Follow-up
- Ensure partners report to ACTED in a timely and qualitative manner as per the requirements of the grant agreement.
- Internal Coordination
- Internal Coordination and Communication
- Facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing from the Base, to the Area, Capital, and even up to the regional and HQ offices by taking minutes of the various ACTED coordination meetings
- Send meeting minutes in a timely manner to HQ;
- Inform ACTED HQ GMU and finance of latest developments, opportunities and challenges so that GMU can best advice on the way forward.
- Postgraduate diploma in international relations/political sciences
- Excellent English and French writing and communication skills
- Previous related work experience, w/knowledge of proposal writing and donor relations
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure
- Ability to work in an unstable security environment moving
- Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basic conditions
Field Intern benefits include:
- 300 USD per month living allowance
- Coverage of all accommodation, food, and travel costs, a luggage allowance of 50 kg
- The provision of medical, repatriation.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send application including cover letter, CV and references to firstname.lastname@example.org under Ref: PDI/KEN