University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is a leading U.S. institution for graduate and professional education and a prominent academic health center combining cutting-edge biomedical research and exceptional clinical care. UMB through its Center for Global Health within the Institute of Human Virology and Division of Infectious Diseases in the School of Medicine implements programs globally using a systems strengthening approach. In Kenya, UMB has been a key technical resource for the Ministry of Health for over 10 years with support in formulation of policy, standards and guidelines; pre-service and in-service education programs; HIV & TB clinical services delivery and research.
The post holder will be responsible for strengthening the project monitoring and evaluation system to constantly inform project performance and enhance optimal utilization of data for decision making.
- In liaison with respective technical teams review /develop monitoring tools to respond to project goals and objectives.
- Facilitate routine data management including data collection, cleaning, validation, compilation and analysis.
- Develop and operationalise M&E processes and related tools that support quality assurance in program service delivery.
- Provide mentorship to the technical teams as well as facility level staff on applicable M&E processes such as data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Provide mentorship/ coaching on improving functionality of manual and electronic laboratory management information systems to enhance linkage of laboratory data to patient care data systems.
- Support data quality initiatives and prepare analyses (with input from project technical staff) required for program performance review as well as for quarterly and annual progress reports.
- Compiles reports of trend analysis from M&E reports of performance against set standards to demonstrate quality of interventions, identification of gaps and areas of improvement.
- Support the technical teams in organisation and execution of program related assessments with a view to strengthening program quality and demonstrate concrete achievement of program results.
- Track program monitoring schedules with a view to facilitating timely preparation, internal reviews and submission to the donor, MoH and internally within UMB.
- Maintain and keep up to date program related databases to support donor reporting and project management.
- Support facilitation of learning and sharing of innovative models and successes of the program as part of strengthening organizational learning.
- Track for the operationalisation of the program’s M&E plan while ensuring effective data capture and preservation that will aid in mid-tem and end-term review to demonstrate impact.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Biostatistics, Biological Sciences or other related discipline. A post-graduate degree with training in M&E will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in supporting M&E systems for public health projects.
- In-depth understanding of HIV and TB M&E mechanisms including the DHIS2, DATIM and other online reporting innovations and dashboards.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheet packages (Ms-excel), database management systems (Ms-Access or Epi-Info), Ms-Word, Ms-Power-Point, the internet, SPSS or STATA.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional report writing skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Good analytical and presentation skills.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above-mentioned qualifications, are requested to send their cover letter and resume to MGIC_Recruitment@mgic.umaryland.edu indicating the position being applied for on the subject line of the email by 8th December 2017. Applicants are advised to include the position title “MONITORING AND EVALUATION OFFICER” as the subject.
The University of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.