If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. DRC has been operating in Kenya since 2005, where we assist refugees and displacement-affected communities in Dadaab, Kakuma, Kalobeyei, Nairobi and Mombasa through protection and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life.
- Based in Mandera Town with regular travel to field locations in Somalia and Ethiopia, the Senior Project Coordinator has responsibility for day to day implementation of a DRC-led consortium of 4 agencies implementing a cross-border EU-funded grant across Mandera, Kenya, Dollo Ado, Ethiopia and Gedo, Somalia. The Senior Project
- Coordinator will support the Head of PMU with strategic guidance and leadership of the BORESHA grant, and will support in determining specific programme design, delivery, progress against the approved work plan, reporting against the monitoring plan, and overall performance of implementing agencies. The Senior Project
- Coordinator is a key member of the Programme Management Unit and will contribute to ensure overall planning, implementing, and managing of the project, and establishment of the M+E framework to assure progress towards achieving project goals and objectives.
S/he will oversee timely delivery of planned results, within budget, with adherence to applicable policies, provide capacity building to project staff, represent the project with internal and external stakeholders in field locations, including the donor, and contribute to planning, coordination and learning within the consortium.
Responsibilities And Tasks
- The Senior Project Coordinator refers to and works in close collaboration with the senior project staff of each of the implementing agencies. Specific responsibilities include:
- Contribute to overall leadership and management, and general technical direction, for the design and implementation of project activities
- Responsible for day to day design, delivery, and progress against agreed targets of the project across all implementing agencies and areas
- Responsible for ensuring the timely and quality completion of all programme technical and financial deliverables and reports in accordance with EU guidelines
- Ensure a shared project vision and ‘theory of change’ amongst staff and across all implementing agencies
- Serve as a liaison with and build effective working relationships with the EU, government counterparts, local partners, communities and other relevant stakeholders
- Oversee financial and administrative management of the programme at field level, ensuring compliance with DRC and EU rules and regulations
- Support the establishment of effective project reporting, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, and personnel and procurement mechanisms
- Develop partnerships in the humanitarian community at local level and coordinate with authorities at County Government levels.
- Participate in consortium Project Steering Committee meetings and Technical Working Group meetings, and ensure implementation of corrective measures.
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programmes, capacity building of key project staff, and strengthening community-based organizations and mechanisms
- Participate in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process of PMU staff, ensuring achievement of project results by setting specific goals and providing continuous performance feedback.
- Relevant university degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations, Law or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ of professional experience relevant for the successful implementation of cross-border programmes
- Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple project partners
- Proven experience in programme design and management, including budget expenditure, donor relations, reporting, proposal writing, staff management, and monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Proven experience in Livelihoods and/or related fields in a management capacity.
- Demonstrated track record of strong donor relationships, specifically EU
- Experience living and/or working in Mandera, Dollow or Dollo Ado strongly preferred
- Communication Skills: Excellent writing and verbal skills in English, knowledge of the Somali language a plus.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision making ability. Proven solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Leadership skills, including ability to build and motivate a team and willingness to deal with challenges.
- Political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures.
- Demonstrated successful experience working within a complex security environment is preferred.
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating integrity
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
This position is for qualified National staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council career website on www.impactpool.org to apply