The Women’s Institute for Secondary Education and Research (WISER NGO) is based in Muhuru Bay, Migori County, Kenya. It is a community development organization focused on the social empowerment of underprivileged girls through education and health. WISER NGoperates the WISER Girls Secondary School, where 180 girls live, learn, and grow in to leaders.
The Program Officer for WISER NG will be primarily responsible for program development and implementation, which may include data collection on programs by similar organizations; program coordination & management; administrative support; and monitoring and evaluation. Additional occasional responsibilities may include marketing, communications, and fundraising.
The Program Officer will report tWISER’s Principal. The position will be based on the WISER Girls Secondary School campus in Muhuru Bay. We are hiring a Program Officer for a one-year contract with the option trenew based on annual performance.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program officer responsibilities may include the following activities.
- Health Programs
- Support sexual and reproductive health (SRH) training as a community outreach program
- Coordinate partnerships ttrain WISER alumni on leading community SRH trainings
- Serve as liaison with WISER leadership torganize agricultural outreach training for the Muhuru Bay community
- Organize term Health Days for campus and community
- Support WISER Principal and Muhuru Bay Community Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Committee tfurther develop WISER water program
- Identify new opportunities and expand community health programs
- Alumni Support Programs
- Determine SAT testing options & preparation for international tertiary education applications
- Develop and manage partnerships tconnect alumni tuniversity placements
- Coordinate and manage alumni computer skills program
- Support alumni monitoring efforts, including planning events
- Opportunity tdevelop new programs tsupport WISER alumni
- Develop and support relationships with other organizations in Kenya & around the world tsupport the development and implementation of health, education, and/or community outreach programs
- Opportunity tdevelop additional community health, education, and/or outreach initiatives
- Work with WISER faculty tcoordinate teleconferencing (Skype) sessions between WISER students and partners around the world
- Identify potential in-country funding partners and introduce WISER tnew networks
- Represent WISER at events (opportunity for travel around Kenya)
- Coordinate visitors/guests on WISER’s campus, including donor visits and partner school trips
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Coordinate with the Managing Director of Programs and Managing Director of Operations & Strategy in the US tensure flow of information between WISER NG& WISER International
- Support Deputy Principal in providing weekly monitoring updates tthe Managing Director of Programs
- Support WISER Principal in term reports and updates tWISER NGBoard
- Opportunity to develop additional monitoring and evaluation processes
- Assist in marketing WISER country-wide tattract students from across Kenya tapply tWISER
- Support WISER International staff in documenting key programmatic events for external communications materials through photography and interviews with WISER faculty and students
- Support WISER Principal in coordinating timing and logistics of WISER NGlocal board meetings
- Support WISER Principal taddress challenges that may arise
- Perform any other duties assigned by WISER Principal or WISER NGBoard
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
A successful Program Officer will be passionate about girls’ education and empowerment and display strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. The Program Officer will be comfortable working in a team-oriented setting and possess the ability twork well with a diverse group of people. We are looking for an analytical multi-tasker whconsistently meets deadlines and adapts well tchange over the scope of a project or program.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or a related field.
- Related fields may include Social Science, Developmental Studies, Business Administration, and more.
- Applicants should have three tfive years of relevant job experience, specifically in managing health or community programs and strategic partnerships.
- Applicants should be able tspeak English and Kiswahili fluently. Proficiency in other languages common in Kenya will put applicants at an advantage.
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Skype is required. Familiarity with Google Applications is an advantage. Competency and experience in monitoring and evaluation will put applicants at an advantage.
Method of Application
Send application and testimonials by email to reach WISER’s Principal as soon as possible: email@example.com
Reviews and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Dorcas A. Oyugi
Principal, WISER Girls Secondary School