If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
World Vision is a Christian humanitarian, development and advocacy organisation devoted to improving the lives of children, families and their communities around the world. Our 42,000+ staff members working in more than 90 countries are united through our ethos, mission and shared desire for all individuals, especially children, to overcome poverty, inequality and injustice.
Purpose Of The Position
To ensure successful implementation, monitoring and reporting of UNICEF funded Bringing Back Out of School Children (OOSC) education Wajir, Kajiado and West Pokot counties through provision of programmatic and technical management.
To effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
- Project Management 35%
- Provide strategic and technical support to implementation the Bringing Back OOSC project whose focus is the retention and completion in education
- Support development and implementation of work plans and budgets for the Bringing Back OOSC project
- Ensure Bringing Back OOSC project interventions are implemented within donor schedule , plans and budgets
- Ensure timely implementation and expenditure level reviews to track and manage work plans and budgets
- Provide administrative and programmatic support for Bringing Back OOSC project staff team
- Guide the project teams on innovative enrollment drives and community mobilization campaigns
- Design appropriate strategies that prioritize on regions with high number of OOSC
- Oversee integration of UNICEF education grant into existing sponsorship education projects for increased impact in the 3 counties
- Ensure support for effective implementation of response plans to all financial and operational audit findings and take the needed measures to prevent such findings from recurring in the future
- Work closely with Associate Director – Education & Protection to mainstream education strategic guidelines
- Ensure effective integration of peace building and environment themes including appropriate linkage with other sector priorities
- Ensure gender responsiveness in all interventions including anti FGM campaigns, Alternative Rights Passage and End Violence Against Children
- Provide guidance on formation of child to child accountability and support system, life skills, COH C.P & Gender.
- Programme Effectiveness 25%
- Ensure quality rapid assessment and reporting on the status of OOSC and their educational needs in Wajir, West Pokot and Kajiado.
- Guide formation of community based and school monitoring systems for sustainability of OOSC interventions
- Ensure an integrated approach with inclusion of WASH, CP, gender, peace, CC, environment and advocacy.
- Together with partners, conduct regular reflection and learning events
- Engage relevant community leaders and partners in planning and monitoring activities for the project
- Ensure alignment of all project interventions with the set monitoring ,evaluation and reporting
- Guide the joint project monitoring process on a scheduled basis
- Facilitate regular reflection meetings to ensure action on all issues from the monitoring reports
- Identify best practices for documentation
- Follow-up accountability of project funds and ensure timely submission of financial reports
- Actively engage in the development of technical reports and submission of the same to the donor and NO
- Advocacy, Engagement & Networking, 20%
- Support strategic engagements with Education stakeholders (Ministry of Education offices in the targeted counties, relevant County Government Departments, Civil Society Organizations and the private sector) in the targeted counties (e.g. through sector working groups at the County level) for joint planning, monitoring and reporting. This includes undertaking enrolment drives in the targeted counties.
- Support team to work with communities and partners to use Citizen Voice and Action (CVA) and other local advocacy approaches to enhance enrolment and retention of OOSC in schools. This includes ensure effective mobilization of communities, empowering them to hold their governments to account for basic education service delivery
- Gather and provide quality feedback and data to be used to develop briefing papers and recommendations on key issues affecting OOSC for external engagement and lobbying with decision makers
- Represent WVK in other strategic forums.
- Empowerment & Capacity building 15%
- Lead the team on education campaigns through local radio stations and community enrolment drives.
- Provide oversight for alternative income generation activities (IGA) among most vulnerable households to support enrolment and retention of their children in school.
- Develop and oversee capacity building initiatives for teachers , community groups and partners for synergy in tracking of OOSC and ensuring enrolment and retention
- Provide guidance on sensitization of parents, teachers and community members on enrollment of Most Vulnerable Children (MVCs), especially with disability or disadvantaged by harmful cultural practices
- Lead capacity building initiatives for staff and community
- Ensure documentation and project learning are disseminated to relevant stakeholders
- Provide technical guidance on mentorship, life skills and peer programme for boys and girls and especially the rescued girls to ensure school retention and completion
- Coordinate initiatives for empowerment of girls, and women in the focus AP in order to break the cycle of poverty and discrimination.
- Any other duty 5%
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Education or its equivalent
- A minimum of 4 years working experience in designing, planning, implementation and reporting on integrated development within education
- Proven experience in a supervisory or management role
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of working with Ministries of Education structures at county levels and engaging and networking with donors, civil societies and other partners
- Must be computer literate
Other Competencies / Attributes
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Aware of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
- Energetic and positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent program communications skills and thorough understanding of knowledge management approaches and mechanisms
- Excellent presentation skills and verbal and written communications skills
- Flexibility and team approach to programmatic work
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to World Vision Kenya career website on careers.wvi.org to apply