If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
For over 50 years and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society
ACDI/VOCA is currently seeking two Country Directors to serve on the antipated Farmer-to-Farmer projects in Kenya and Tanzania. As part of the Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) program ACDI/VOCA will provide short-term technical assistance through highly qualified volunteers to support international agricultural development activities with an emphasis on improving private agricultural operations. Activities may relate to all aspects of chosen sectors from production, processing, range management, marketing, credit and input supply, as well as improved agribusiness management, environmental conservation and improved policy and regulatory issues. Flexible volunteer assignments outside of the core sub-sectors can be utilized as targeted of opportunities to expand F2F outreach. The project's primary goal is to generate rapid, sustained and broad-based economic growth in the agricultural sector. A secondary goal is to increase the American public's understanding of international development issues and international understanding of the United States and U.S. development programs. The Country Director will plan, develop, and manage all aspects of the F2F core Country Program.
- Responsible for overall administration and implementation of ACDI/VOCA F2F program.
- Act as ACDI/VOCA's F2F representative to donors and in-country agencies.
- Develop strategies and priorities in accordance with ACDI/VOCA and donor's strategic objectives.
- Develop and maintain constructive contacts with USAID and other donors.
- Reports to F2F headquarters project management staff on corporate and project matters.
- Initiates contact with targeted host country organizations to assess need for short-term technical assistance through volunteer specialists.
- Provides advice and guidance to requesting host country organizations to (1) define their immediate and longer-term needs for short-term, technical assistance from agricultural and environmental specialists, and (2) completes applications in detail and accurately defines and writes scopes of work for volunteer assignments.
- Assesses viability of host organization requests made to ACDI/VOCA, considering priority of development needs, terms of reference and scopes of work for the proposed assignments, necessary background of potential volunteers, and willingness and ability of requesting organizations to provide necessary substantive staff and logistical support to the volunteer.
- Secures commitment to in-kind and/or cash contributions on the part of requesting organizations.
- Assesses results of work and recommendations of ACDI/VOCA volunteers through interviews with officials of organizations that requested ACDI/VOCA assistance.
- Monitors project budget to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget parameters and assists F2F HQ management team in ensuring that all appropriate financial reporting requirements are met.
- Establishes own travel schedule required to carry out duties.
- Recruits, develops, and manages host country project staff in accordance with good management practices and in compliance with host country labor laws.
- Contributes to the professional development and training of project staff.
- Contributes to the project reporting, public affairs and coordination activities.
- Recommends the appropriate contact to the donor/client for specific technical requests, questions and concerns.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in agriculture, international development or another relevant field.
- Minimum eight years of relevant experience in Kenya or Tanzania required.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including strong communication, planning, negotiating, and interpersonal skills. Ability to represent ACDI/VOCA before large audiences, build effective management and program teams, and negotiate with other donors, contractors, and host country organizations.
- Ability to understand macro development issues and develop strategized policy recommendations.
- Ability to analyze mixed issues and develop project specific recommendations and ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Working knowledge of PC based word processing and spreadsheets are required.
- Fluency in English and host country language required.
Kenyan and Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to ACDI/VOCA career website on internationaljobs-acdivoca.icims.com to apply