Compassion International is a child-advocacy ministry that pairs compassionate people with those who are suffering from poverty. The ministry releases children from spiritual, economic, social, and physical poverty. The goal is for each child to become a responsible and fulfilled adult.
The Assistant General Counsel directly influences the long-term success of Compassion International by serving as an advisor to the Deputy General Counsel for International Affairs and the General Counsel, providing proactive and specialized counsel and expertise on matters including developments in the law of eight countries in Africa, managing outside counsel in Africa and providing international leadership with proactive legal and non-legal advice in their individual contexts. The responsibilities include serving as a resource and legal consultant for the National Leadership Teams from eight African offices and the Africa Regional Leadership on activities like: selection and management of contract service, employee hiring, discipline, and termination, as well as, coaching, performance management, assigning, checking, and approving work to achieve global strategies and objectives. Countries of responsibility include: Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burkina Faso, Togo, and Ghana.
*Please Note – This position will be based out of one of Compassion’s East Africa Offices.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- Provides leadership, planning and consultation to National and Regional leaders, peers in cross-functional departments such as Risk, Audit, Finance, Human Resources to ensure the optimal planning and execution of company priorities and initiatives.
- Provide regional perspective on resources necessary for the annual budget and departmental expenses, ensuring accountability for on-time completion of deliverables based on department objectives, and other Compassion standards, ensuring compliance with regulatory and board policies.
- Renders legal analysis and guidance on Compassion’s policy and organizational activities, including compliance with the laws of the countries eight countries in Africa where Compassion operates. This includes employment law, collective bargaining (in certain countries), child protection, benefits and state-sponsored severance schemes, tax-exempt status, religious entity status, and best practices for charitable entities.
- Serves as a resource or consultant to management, rendering analysis and guidance in the areas of employee relations, separations, benefits, minimum wages, as well as providing guidance on volunteer issues at the implementing church partner level.
- Leverages solid understanding of the registration requirements in each field country and provides strategic guidance concerning tax implications and advantages of various types of registrations.
- Directs outside counsel to manage Compassion’s international litigation risk and active litigation matters, including evaluating employee claims, improving field office legal position, implementing church partner practices, and managing outside litigation cases.
- Serves as a resource for internal functions and external auditors regarding Compassion’s litigation experience, future trends, status of incorporation, domestic and global risk issues, ethics reporting, child protection investigations, and local law enforcement interaction.
Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Required: Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or first law dregree from accredited institution.
- Preferred: Master of Laws (LLM)
International Legal experience working with NGO’s, charities, and/or religious organizations
Licenses and Certifications
Currently licensed to practice law in at least one country (or eligible to become licensed within 12 months of hire through examination or reciprocity).
*** Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above ***Working Environment: Office – Standard Office EnvironmentPhysical Demands: Sitting, standing, and/or walking for up to 8 hours per dayTravel Requirements: May be required to travel up to 25% of normal schedule
Other: A high degree of expertise in employment, benefits, tax and business structures. Knowledge of exempt organization law preferred. Strong English language skills (spoken and written) required. Ability to read and understand French would be a plus.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Compassion International career website on careers-compassion.icims.com to apply