If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Anjarwalla & Khanna (A&K) is the largest corporate law firm in Eastern Africa, with over 90 lawyers, and is generally considered the leading full-service corporate law firm in Kenya. The firm has offices in both Nairobi and Mombasa, Kenya’s main commercial centres. A&K International (AKI) has also established an office in Dubai. Anjarwalla Collins Haidermota (AC&H), a legal consultancy firm that provides corporate and commercial legal services, is the first African firm to be licensed in the UAE. Through AC&H, it is able to seamlessly service clients based in the Middle East on their transactions in Africa.
A&K has been named “African Law Firm of the Year – Large Practice” four times, in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017 by the prestigious African Legal Awards, which celebrate “excellence, achievement and innovation in the legal profession.” A&K is ranked first in Kenya by various legal guides, including Chambers Global, IFLR 1000, and Legal 500.
A&K is the founding member of ALN (Africa Legal Network), an alliance of top-ranked African law firms in multiple African jurisdictions, providing seamless and effective legal, advisory and transactional services across the continent. It is the largest grouping of its kind in Africa, with close working relationships across its sixteen firms and an established network of Best Friends across the continent. ALN firms are on the ground in some of Africa’s fastest growing jurisdictions, including the continent’s gateway economies: Algeria, Botswana, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. ALN also works closely with its regional office in Dubai and associate firm in South Africa.
Roles and responsibilities
The ALN Annual International Conference is ALN’s annual flagship event which has been held since 2014 in Dubai, with the aim of connecting Africa to international markets. The conference is regarded as one of the top conferences for investors looking to Africa and attracts more than 300 delegates each year. It has served as an effective forum for connecting investors and other stakeholders with an interest in Africa, and providing them with an avenue for dialogue on topics salient to Africa.
Having been organised and coordinated by an internal ALN Events team, ALN is now looking to further raise the profile of the conference to a fully-fledged and self-funding venture with a dedicated team behind it.
The Event Production Officer will report to the Head of Business Development, with the responsibility of handling all conference logistics and supporting other events in the same capacity, as may be required from time to time.
In more detail, the areas of responsibility include:
- Negotiating agreements with the conference venue and other vendors.
- Coordinating the various vendors, including printers, audio visual team, venue set-up team, catering, graphics, stationary and gifts, before, during and after the event.
- Maintaining and updating the conference checklist, ensuring timely execution of all required tasks.
- Supporting all speaker logistics as will be required, including timely submission of all required event permit documentation.
- Coordinating all delegate related logistics including preparation of name badges and delegate packs, testing and efficient rollout of the on-site registration system, ensuring accuracy of delegate related data among other tasks.
- Working with the travel desk to coordinate all conference related travel and transfers, including preparation of visa letters where needed.
- Supporting the event management team in event marketing efforts, including coordination of any design, print or communications tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
- Ensuring proper and timely venue set-up, signage and branding, including the cocktail events, dinners, breakout rooms, registration and networking hub areas.
- Coordinating the registration desk and networking hub teams during the conference.
- Maintaining orderly on-site storage and safekeeping of event supplies.
- Ensuring pull down and packing of all post-event items and coordinating any necessary shipment/transportation.
- Supporting the event management team with post-event feedback collection, analysis and reporting.
- The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with potential travel outside Africa.
Experience and personal qualities
This role will require a high calibre, detail oriented and experienced events and marketing professional with the highest levels of ambition, commitment and professionalism.
The following experience is preferred:
- Degree qualification (preferably in Marketing, Advertising, Media, Communications or Journalism).
- At least three years’ experience in event production or working in a PR/Events agency setting.
- Demonstrated experience in working on large scale projects with multiple stakeholders, which require a high level of prioritisation and time management.
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience in using various marketing tools and techniques to increase the visibility, profile and reputation of an organisation or venture/event.
- Proficient in the use of IT Systems including Microsoft Office packages
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to communicate clearly with a range of people from diverse backgrounds.
- The following personal qualities are preferred:
- Ability to multitask and handle varied moving parts in a complex and demanding environment.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills.
- Extremely organised and efficient.
- A resourceful problem solver with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Ability to communicate and present effectively and persuasively, in person and in writing, to many different audiences, including senior decision makers.
- A strategic and creative thinker with proven experience of working on diverse and wide ranging communication strategies including all forms of media.
- The ability to build and maintain highly effective working relationships with a range of people (both internally and externally).
- A commitment to teamwork and working in a professional manner.
- Enthusiastic, diplomatic and calm under pressure.
- Ability to develop creative ideas and transform them into practical reality.
- Action-orientated, entrepreneurial and innovative.
- A commitment to ALN’s mission and strong ethical integrity.
Method of Application
If your career aspirations match this opportunity, please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing this position AKI/EPO/18 by 12:00pm (GMT) on Friday, 26th January 2018.