If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Data Entry Operator /Tracing Secretary is a Resident/National position in Protection department. The job holder will autonomously handle secretarial duties, data entry and office administration tasks; supporting the department in its activities to help victims of armed conflict in Somalia to re-establish and maintain contact with their loved ones locally and abroad. The role holder will also handle whenever needed oral/written translation from English to Somali language. He/she is expected to travel to Somalia when need arises.
Your Main Responsibilities
- Sorts and dispatches all documents received from Somalia and from other ICRC Delegations or national societies worldwide;
- Compiles a list of names for persons whose details are to be shared with the relevant broadcasting network and aired over the Radio for tracing purposes;
- Updates ICRC data base and individual files with information received on open tracing cases;
- On a bi-annual basis extracts a report on all pending tracing cases and shares it with Somalia Red Crescent Society (SRCS) Restoring Family Links (RFL) coordinators, ICRC delegations and national societies for updates;
- On a quarterly basis liaises with SRCS RFL coordinators, ICRC delegations and national societies for updates on all priority cases;
- Acts as the first point of contact within the department, receiving calls, welcoming visitors and handling enquiries as appropriate;
- As per the need, conducts field visits to Somalia in order to provide support to the SRCS and ICRC Protection team in the Field.
- Diploma in Secretarial Studies, Business Administration, Business Management or any other relevant field;
- At least 2 years experience in a similar position, in a Humanitarian environment;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali languages;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a multicultural environment;
- High level of confidentiality;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- A dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian and international environment;
- Training and development opportunities;
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework.
Method of Application
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must state your current and expected salary. The closing date is 19th February 2018. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to email@example.com.