Mercy Corps has been operating in Kenya since 2008, focusing its interventions around four objectives: 1) Peace and Conflict Management; 2) Livelihood/Market Systems; 3) Governance (particularly at the county level); and 4) Youth Employment/Employability (including the social and economic development of adolescents). The four objectives serve to increase community resilience to drought and other shocks and stresses, and to decrease fragility with a particular focus on Kenya’s Arid Lands. Mercy Corps’ vision for change requires the private sector, government and civil society to work together to create meaningful and sustainable change.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Kenya, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Country Finance Director, the Senior Finance and Compliance Officer will assist in the accounting and documentation of all financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUCNTIONS:
- Reviewing and posting entries input in the field connection and navigator for all offices.
- Monitoring expenditures under specific budgetary lines for relevance.
- Review of the payroll and payroll allocations, posting of the payroll journal entries on time.
- Review and posting of the monthly amortizations, making enquiries on deferred payments.
- Managing the staff end of service expense allocation including following up on insurance costs and refunds through the Human Resource department.
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Review and support in submission of cash flow projections to HQ on a monthly basis.
- Management of the cash balances in all Mercy corps Kenya accounts.
- Examine all transactions that go through bank accounts and the ledger for accuracy before approving the bank reconciliation.
- Lead the finance team on the month close process, starting from the month close meeting held on a monthly basis, to the coordination of all field teams towards the timely closure of the monthly accounts and submission of the monthly reporting package without fail by the 10th of each month to HQ.
- Reclasses required internally and by HQ are done on a timely basis.
- Support in VAT returns process.
- Maintaining relations between Mercy Corps and the bank, Kenya Revenue Authority and the Auditors.
- Supported the Annual Financial year closure.
- Backstop plan in case of the absence of any Finance officer in Nairobi office and several other field offices.
- Constantly reinforced the adherence of Mercy Corps and donor policies to ensure they are adhered to.
- Assisting the Finance Director with program close out.
- Other assigned duties
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Two Finance Officers in Nairobi
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Country Finance Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Nairobi Finance Team, Program Team & Operations Team
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ten or more years of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- Must have supervised finance staff
- CPA(K) or equivalent and diploma in relevant business field
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly, accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 21st February, 2018.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process