British American Tobacco is a leading tobacco group, with brands sold in more than 200 markets. We employ more than 57,000 people and, with over 200 brands in our portfolio, we make the cigarette chosen by one in eight of the world’s one billion adult smokers. We hold robust market positions in each of our four regions – Americas; Asia-Pacific; Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa; and Western Europe – and we are leaders in more than 60 markets. Our approach to marketing is second to none in our industry, in brand building, innovation and responsibility. Our companies adhere strictly to the high standards of our voluntary marketing principles.
British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for a Tobacco Leaf Processing Quality Compliance & Performance Manager to join our team in Thika.
The job purpose is to monitor the status of quality of tobacco leaf on receipt, stored or being processed, to ascertain that specific quality standards including infestation control are all along maintained and to provide accurate chemical analysis results for every grade of tobacco, to the satisfaction of domestic and export customers.
Main responsabilities of the role include
- Keep all precision equipment in laboratory and quality control well maintained and constantly calibrated to ensure accuracy of all data.
- Monitoring the performance of all mechanical and electronic weighing scales in the plant to ensure their accuracy, proper calibration and maintenance by certified service providers in liaison with Ministry of Commerce (dept. of weights and measures) for government certification - a requirement for international trade.
- Take analysis of samples as per Leaf supplier manual and generate accurate physical/chemical analysis results and quality control information for optimum process control and production development. The results are also used by both management and customers as a tool for measuring performance.
- Maintain accurate records of quality experiments, tests and reports so that they are available for use by management and customers as a base for business transactions and reference.
- Plan and implement the adherence to safety standards in the quality and laboratory sections and in the factory as required by the BAT Safety Guidelines and government regulations in order to create safe working environment.
- Keep abreast of the developed new quality control procedures and technological changes and advise the company for continued business development and maintenance of a competitive edge in the tobacco industry.
- Monitor and carry out analysis on infestation levels while aiming to control infestation. This can be achieved by proper hygiene and chemical treatments while adhering to BAT global and Coresta fumigation standards.
- Monitor, carry out inspection of foreign matter in the factory, campaign and continuously create quality awareness so that the production personnel make high quality product free of any form of contamination. Give feedback to Leaf Growing team on NTRM levels for process improvements.
Qualifications Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science and Technology or Laboratory Sciences.
- At least four years’ experience, preferably in a busy process industry.
- Practical knowledge of analytical laboratory procedures and instrumentation.
- Exposure to statistical quality control techniques is essential and knowledge of implementation of TQM concepts an added advantage. Practical experience on handling testing equipment, is desirable.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to British American Tobacco (BAT) career website on krb-xjobs.brassring.com to apply