Jhpiego is a nonprofit NGO that prevents the needless deaths of women and families in limited resources settings.
To accomplish this, Jhpiego implements innovative evidence-based solutions for intractable problems in health to overcome barriers to high-quality care services for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego is the lead implementing partner for Afya Halisi, a USAID’s five year project which aims to deliver quality, integrated services in the areas of family planning (FP) / reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH), nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in the focus counties of Kitui, Migori, Kakamega and Kisumu.
Reporting to the Finance & Administration Director, the Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for providing financial support to the Afya Halisi project based in Migori.
This includes handling day to day financial operations, with particular emphasis on handling accounts payable and receivable, expense
reports, cash handling, payments and compliance to Jhpiego and donor financial policies, implement and maintain an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance of projects’ financial operations.
- Examine financial documents such as invoices, vouchers, expense reports, purchase orders and other documents to ensure the completeness, accuracy, reasonability and validity of financial data.
- Maintain, monitor, and disburse funds from the project in accordance with Jhpiego’s financial policies and procedures as outlined in the Jhpiego Finance and Accounting policies manual for country offices, QuickBooks Manual,
- Banking Policy, Procurement Policy and any other policies.
- Ensure accounting documents are filed in a timely manner, proper accounting records are maintained and compatible with standard accounting practice, Jhpiego and donor guidelines.
- Monitor and reconcile supplier statements on regular basis and ensure timely settlement of bills.
- Maintain a cash register to ensure that there is a proper audit trail of all cash transactions within the organization.
- Monitor and reconcile travel expenses and project expenses to individual advances on a regular basis.
- Code, track, and process vendor invoices, consultant invoices and travel advances for payments in a timely basis.
- Post entries into the accounting system on a daily basis.
- Assist the Finance and Admin Director in preparation of monthly financial report, accruals and projections, and any other financial reports for review.
- Work with the Finance and Administration Director to develop annual budgets for program activities and office costs.
- Prepare and update cost share reports for programs on a timely basis.
- Prepare DA1 VAT exemption forms and maintain all records relating to VAT exemption applications to donors, refundable VAT from suppliers, etc. on a regular basis.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience in finance or accounting.
- Full CPA Qualification or equivalent and a Member of a recognized Accountancy professional body such as ICPAK
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, GAAP and Knowledge of internal controls
- In-depth knowledge of USAID projects, regulations, compliance and reporting. Previous experience with donor-funded projects preferred
- Excellent verbal, written communications and presentation skills with professional level oral and written English
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented with high degree of accuracy.
- Computers skills including use of spreadsheets and/or accounting packages
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send application & CV with 3 referees to the following email address: HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org by 21st February 2018.
Indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Persons with disabilities and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.