Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Terms of Reference
Scope of Work for Documentation and Communications Materials Production for BSIF 2018 Enterprise Based Technical Vocational Education and Training (EBTVET) component
Save the Children with support from Save the Children UK is implementing the BSIF 2018 project in Mandera which has a key component in Enterprise Based Technical Vocational Education and Training (EBTVET). This involves apprenticeship based training for out of school youth aged between 16 and 25 years from Mandera County undergoing training for 4 to 6 months in 16 different artisan and craft skill areas at identified host business enterprises. So far the project has supported 508 youth between January 2015 and December 2017. The EBTVET is aimed at improving the knowledge and skills for the out of school youth from poor and vulnerable households through the use of local markets. The skills acquired are geared towards improving employability amongst the youth as well as stimulating growth within the local market sectors to create more employment opportunities and improved income for the largely marginalized County with a poverty index of 85.8%[
Objectives of the consultancy
- To produce high quality communications materials for a variety of internal and external audiences which demonstrate clearly key project achievements related to improved knowledge, skills and employability amongst the target youth in Mandera West , Banisa and Mandera South Sub Counties of Mandera County
- To support Save the Children Communications manager in producing communication materials from interviews with target youth in Mandera West, South and Banissa Sub Counties.
- Target Audiences for materials produced
Development partners including donors, NGOs and organizations working in a similar field
- Mandera County Government actors
- Other partners/stakeholders such as business communities and government agencies including National Industrial Training Authority, Kenya Technical Trainers College, service delivery and public administration agencies
- Save the Children staff in Kenya and globally (via the Kenya CO website and SCI intranet)
- Programme beneficiaries including host trainers, trainees, graduates ,EBTVET Committees and parents.
Scope of work
- Travel to various programme location sites in Takaba , Banissa and Elwak towns to capture high quality images, video and anecdotal information through engagement with target EBTVET youth and other stakeholders
- Package information in creative ways, and in line with Save the Children and donor (DFID) branding guidelines
- Refine and finalize the above-mentioned materials based on feedback from country office and regional office Save the Children staff
- Work closely with the PDQ Director, APM Mandera and Communications Manager in the planning and implementation of the assignment, with support to be provided by the TVET Coordinator and TVET officer based in Takaba.
- Critical: Three or more short (maximum 3 minutes) human interest films that can be uploaded to Save the Children and implementing partners’ websites, YouTube, flickers, etc The clips should capture first-hand accounts of EBTVET graduates and host enterprise trainers.
- Three or more one page case studies suitable for sharing with external audiences for EBTVET graduates in Banisa, Elwak and Takaba.
- A library of images taken for use in the above-mentioned materials, which can be further used by Save the Children for future reports and publications.
- Working in close collaboration with Save the Children, from the planning stage to ensure that key messages to be highlighted in communications materials are well understood and agreed upon.
- Liaise with Save the Children staff to ensure accuracy and endorsement.
- Communications materials produced should be based on data from programme monitoring and evaluations as well as engagement with major stakeholders involved in project implementation: beneficiaries, co-operating partners, and Save the Children.
- The materials will be produced in line with Save the Children’s organizational standards and other Save the Children operational documents
Qualifications and competencies required
The Consultant (individual(s), organization) should have:
- Extensive experience in producing communications materials relating to social and economic matters.
- Experience working with international organizations and/or international donors as well as in working with state institutions, NGOs and local authorities in Kenya.
- Excellent technical capacities to ensure smooth and high quality production of communications materials (including video production staff, owner of its own video production studio or a documentary proof of an access to a rented video studio, etc.) as well as to ensure that Save the Children staff capacities are built through the assignment.
Expression of Interest
All interested consultants/firms are requested to write an expression of interest by:
- Explaining their competences to meet the requirements of the assignment.
- Provide a detailed professional budget in Kenya Shillings (indicate daily professional rates)
- Provide tentative work-plan and duration of the assignment and when ready to undertake the assignment. Kindly note that the work-plan might be subject to revision once the consultant has been selected.
- Provide details of two referees who can be contacted to comment on the consultant’s capacity-building/training capabilities
- Provide three examples of communications materials (both printed and audio-visual) in the recent past (not more than five years).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application to the following e-mail address: email@example.com citing the reference number PR/MANDERA/2018/01072 by 16 March, 2018.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in KSH to undertake the terms of reference above (including all applicable costs).Please note that Save the Children will only cover the cost of flights(economy class), standard accommodation and meals for a maximum of two consultants while in the field.
Applications submitted without a fee rate will not be considered.
If you will not have been contacted within 1.5, months of the closing date please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Regret emails will be sent only to shortlisted/contacted candidates.