Aktis Strategy (Aktis) is a global consulting firm specialising in development, stabilisation, and governance in FCAS. Established in 2013, Aktis is a go-to specialist firm for solving some of the most pressing issues facing governments and local communities affected by conflict.
With regional offices across the Middle East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and Eastern Europe, we deliver programmes that tackle our clients’ highest-priority challenges, addressing both the root causes and symptoms of conflict.
This job may be based in Mogadishu or Nairobi with 50% travel to Hargeisa.
The Regional HSS and Operations Manager will ensure that existing and forthcoming projects within the Sub Saharan Africa portfolio are delivered at a minimised level of exposure to risk. The primary focus of this role will be on supporting the delivery of our Somalia based projects. Project delivery in the region involves the deployment of consultants to deliver training courses, workshops and mentoring.
In Somalia our work aims to promote security in Somalia by working with the Federal Government of Somalia and the regional administrations. Aktis provides support to security agencies in Mogadishu to improve coordination mechanisms for effective security operations. In addition, our work looks to improve security coordination at the Federal Member State level to support the country’s regional security mechanisms envisaged in the National Security Plan.
The Operations Manager will manage the security, operations and logistics of all our projects in the region, with support from in-country project management teams, and in coordination with the Programme Manager and Coordinator. In Somalia, this role will extend to include operations: finance, logistics and procurement.
Region wide responsibilities:
- Review daily and weekly news and information reports to inform evaluations of levels of threat to projects and project teams;
- Maintain information exchange networks with organisations working in the same region to inform evaluation of threat levels;
- Implement and manage any changes of security profile as a result of intelligence;
- Review and update current Health, Safety and Security policy, implementing recommendations falling out of the review in agreement with management;
- Update and communicate incident response and management procedures;
- Perform due diligence and quality assurance reviews of subcontractors, building their capacity where necessary to improve services;
- Respond appropriately to any HSS incidents in line with Aktis Incident Management protocol;
- Identify and evaluate external trainings (HEAT or specialised trainings); assist teams in booking trainings; maintain high standards of staff training. Maintain a log of all HEAT trained staff;
- Deliver HSS inductions to project personnel;
- Develop policies for providing psychosocial support, gender-sensitive security advice and response to sensitive or personal issues;
- Set and Maintain HSS standards for Aktis field programmes, reporting changes of risk to the senior management team, and contribution to the risk management committee;
- Ensure that the Aktis crisis management systems are established and practiced through “Desk top” exercises, in accordance with the prevailing threat environment for the country/region;
- Perform visits to existing projects to ensure policy and procedure is adhered to, providing training, and scope out new locations to advising on measures of mitigation;
- Carry out investigations and make recommendations for changes into incidents and issues.
In addition to the above, the Somalia specific role will include the following operations management requirements: finance, logistics and procurement.
- Act as in-country security focal point and delegate this task as appropriate when not in country.
- Manage the in-country cash flow and payment of suppliers.
- Oversee the day to day logistical requirements of the programme.
- Act as focal point of contact for local partners and suppliers.
- Manage local or international procurement in line with budget according to an agreed procurement process.
- Support in general management of local and international consultants as required by Programme Manager
- Applicants should have significant in-country experience operating in FCAS, with country experience of Aktis project deployment countries favourably viewed, but not essential.
- 8+ years in international development, aid or other related work in an operational support role. Of this, 5+ years where Safety and Security formed a major part of your responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver security advice at the strategic level, and prepare well written security documentation.
- Certification in Management of Risk or qualification through a recognised body such as The Institute of Risk Management will be beneficial. Academic qualification in the management of risk and/or security will also be well received.
- Experience financial administration functions such as managing procurement processes;
- Experience managing local contractors and suppliers
And ideally have:
- Experience in project management;
- Experience in working for an international organisation;
- Coordinated and/or contributed to the design of technical and commercial sections of proposals/bids.