AGRA is a dynamic, African-led partnership working across the African continent to help millions of small-scale farmers and their families lift themselves out of poverty and hunger. It is a registered public charity under Section 501(c) (3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and maintains a regional office for West Africa in Accra, Ghana. AGRA is chaired by Mr. Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the United Nation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support conventional agricultural extension methods which employ small packs, on-farm demonstrations, farmer field days.
- Work with village-based advisors within the context of AGRA’s private sector-led approaches to agricultural transformation, in AGRA countries.
- Together with country staff, work with regulators, government and private sector to oversee and push penetration of mobile phones, video, mobile money, and other forms of electronic communications to smallholder farmers to support sustainable farming practices.
- Working with like-minded organizations, AGRA Partners, government and service providers, work towards overcoming the barriers represented by distance, lack of infrastructure, and cognitive gaps related to the use of improved technologies and marketing methods.
- Ensure the messaging and services offered through the use of ICT is genuinely relevant and useful to smallholder farmers, and is not a distraction.
- Position AGRA as a leading force in the identification, delivery, and scaling up of farmer-relevant information technologies and services.
- In line with overall organization vision and strategies, drive AGRA’s five-year strategy to reach 9 million smallholder farmers in Africa with improved technologies for achieving higher yields and better marketing opportunities to improve their productivity.
- Act as AGRA’s ICT liaison for agricultural development.
- Attend technology for development forums and workshops and continuously enhance knowledge and update existing systems and platforms as required with modern and relevant applications.
- Together with other program teams, drive farmer/stakeholder education and awareness on technologies that exist to enhance their production and productivity.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- First degree in Computer Science, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Extension, Soil Science, Horticulture, Agriculture Economics or Vegetable crops.
- A minimum of 10 years successful experience in technology for development management and/or development of service systems 5 of which should have been working on issues pertaining to African rural development.
- Demonstrated ability in creating strong research and technology linkages, and putting in place operational mechanisms to bring agricultural technologies to scale.
- Extensive experience in listening to and communicating with smallholder farmers in Africa.
- Broad knowledge of, and exposure to conventional agricultural extension methods and/or marketing methodologies employed by public agencies, private agri-businesses, and non-governmental organizations.
- Broad knowledge of, and exposure to ICT applications in use and under development in Africa which hold particular relevance to the needs of smallholder farmers.
- Ability to communicate the relevance and potential of technologically complex ICT applications in simple messages which are easily understood by a general audience.
- A strong desire to see ICT put to use to reduce poverty among Africa’s farmers.
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships.
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with ICT, R&D and analytics houses.
- Strong understanding of and the ability to interpret and action smallholder farmer technological needs.
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards across cultures and countries.
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop, and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach.
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector ICT policies and governance structures.
- Results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
Method of Application
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject line of your e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 24th April, 2018.