Location: Preferably full time in Nairobi or ability to work with team there regularly.
Working here means that you work with people that are highly driven by our vision of a world where all people have access to clean energy. Everyone in the team are rockstars who love to take on new challenges. We believe that transparency is key and want to enable people to be their best. Being proactive is in our DNA and we don’t wait for change to happen. We create change.
We always strive towards full autonomy of every TRINE member, therefore expect people to take ownership in their work. In order to be a successful team, every “TRINEr” needs to be flexible and thrive in an environment constantly changing. This applies to organisational structures as well as everyday work. One week here can often feel like a month due to the many changes happening.
As a team we share information openly and proactively in the whole company. That includes that we admit mistakes freely and openly because we know we won’t be judged on our mistakes. All of us have a learning mentality in everything we do, in particular from mistakes along the way. We are like a pro sports team, taking care of each other, helping where needed and enable everyone to be their best selves.
What we look for
You have previous experience in due diligence (financial, organisational and market risk assessment) and relationship management on borrowing entities (such as SMEs) in emerging countries.
In this role, you will establish new and strengthen existing relationships with solar energy companies all over Sub-Saharan Africa. Your role entails supporting existing solar partners in terms of finance and in order to make them prosper and grow. You are also the link between the solar company and our investors, making sure they are paid on time and in full as well as that the impact promised is delivered on the ground.
To keep developing the partner pipeline, your responsibilities involve performing due diligence on new partners, assessing the financial viability of a company, its sales capabilities, technology, scalability and management team by going through documentation submitted during the due diligence. To see their operations in real life, you will also have to conduct field-trips to current and future solar partners and their customers.
- Financial due diligence of a solar partner, including balance sheets, profit and loss statements, business models, etc.
- Credit risk assessment with in-house credit tool and continuous improvement of it
- Due diligence trips to potential partners, with field trips to their customers in predominantly rural countryside settings
- Preparation of investment documentation for investment committee and professional investors
- Continuous relationship management with existing partners, including keeping in touch about new loans, regular risk assessment and generally building a good relationship
Desired Qualifications, Knowledge And Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a business related field from a recognized university. Holders of relevant professional qualifications will have an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position in emerging markets and in structuring financial vehicles (SPVs, receivables finance, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience in relationship and credit management is required
- Must be able to understand financial data (Balance Sheets, Income Statements, Cash Flow Statements, Financial Ratios, etc.) and apply those skills as they apply to the due diligence process.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel and PowerPoint), Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides), Email, CRM tools, etc.
- Ability to learn new tools needed for the job
- Attention to detail is key: Regard for all important details to assure accuracy in every transaction performed; detect errors; follow through on corrections and details.
- Ability to effectively manage one’s time and work independently to complete work according to established deadlines.
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Available to travel within and out of Kenya when required to do so
- Experience working with solar energy in emerging markets (non-technical) is a plus
- Open to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa and rural settings with low standards
- Positive and proactive approach to work, able to take decisions autonomously
- Taking responsibility for one's actions and decisions, even if they turn out badly
- Enjoys constant change and embraces constant improvement
- Communicates openly and honestly in an environment with no prestige
- Takes ownership of tasks and pushes them to the finish line
- Having been in touch with off-grid solar companies and institutional investors is a plus
- Working knowledge in French is a plus
- 6-month probation period during which the culture and team fit is determined
- Join before/at strategy off-site in Gothenburg, Sweden in first week of September 2018
- Focus on East-Africa + potentially West Africa at a later stage
- Options program for all employees available after probation period