If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Muthaiga Golf Club, proudly called the Home of Golf by its elite membership, is in many ways the ultimate embodiment of Kenya’s unique marriage of ancient golf tradition and a modern 18-Hole Championship Golf Course.
Reports to: General Manager
Job Grade: Management
Direct Reports: Sous Chef
Departmental StaffMembersSuppliersFood Authorities
The Executive Chef is responsible for all the kitchen operations within the club,
This includes but not limited to:
- All kitchen staff
- All food purchases
- All food productionAll food service,All hygiene matters relating to the kitchen operation
- All legal matters relating to the kitchen operations
- Training of kitchen staff and front of house in regards to food, food production, hygiene
- Achieving targeted food cost as set by the Club
- Maintain budgets set by the club
- Liaising with the General Manager, accounts, human resourceand food and beverage manager
- Creating a 5 star food experience with the budget guidelines.
- Ensure operating equipment is maintained and in a serviceable condition.
- The Executive chef is expected to produce dishes, specials and menus and cook for selected clients
Key Measures of Performance
The performance of this role holder will be assessed on the basis of the achievements made on: Food and staffing cost budgetsInnovation and Creative initiativesEffective cost management of water, gas and electricityTeam leadership and staff retention rate
- Kitchen Operations and Maintenance
- Create a strong kitchen team that can operate to a high standard regardless of the time of week and work load
- Ensure efficient food dispensing, service and presentationis provided in order to meet and exceed guest expectation.
- Maintain optimum operating equipment stock levels and provide staff with quality working tools.
- Ensure costs and quality are controlled to departmental budgets.
- Manage the operations in a manner that meets the clubs environmental and waste management procedures.
- Maintain a food cost of XX%Responsible for the ordering & receiving of all food items and inspecting the quality and price.
- Once a quarter conduct a market serves report and present findings to the boardsOnce a quarter be present in committee meeting.
- Once a quarter organize and conduct tasting sessions for the waiting staff and refresh on menu items
- Responsible for the operating equipment and hygiene of all kitchens with the club. Including staff canteen.
- Perform various cooking activities from time to time and especially for special occasions
- Frequently review finished products for quality and presentation before the orders are send to guest.
- Conduct twice-daily briefings covering areas of operation and food costs with the staff.
- Conduct a weekly meeting with management team.Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to the clubs operational Standard and Management Policy.
- Supervision &Relationship Management
- Maintain a conducive working environment for the kitchen staff so as to provide food service to guest and staff satisfaction.
- Organize the kitchen staff and supervise them while working.
- Train the kitchen staff to meet the set policies, procedures and standards.
- Maintain effective communications with all team members within the department to maintain a smooth, informed and consistent atmosphere.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the efficiency andeffectiveness of the team as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation and service levels.
- Actively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Give support to the General Manager by ensuring high levelof performance within the team, sound professional advice and support of desired Muthaiga Golf Club culture.
- Communicate effectively and have management responsibility for all kitchen staff. Ensure performance appraisals of the team is done at no greater than annual intervals.
- Carry out inductions for new staff.
- Comply with company policies, rules and procedures at all times.
- Prepare comprehensive annual budgets for approval.
- Ensure compliance with approved budgets including prudent and timely spending.
- Ensure highest standards of operational efficiency and quality of service.
- Ensure timely reporting of department performance.
- Health & Safety
- Take all responsible steps to protect the health, safety and welfare of all employees, visitors, members and contractors.
- Conduct risk assessment and communicate risks and hazards to
the appropriate person.
- Ensures all kitchen employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensure that all kitchen premises are secured and locked prior to leaving and have a thorough understanding of club theft preventative proceduresWork with the Security Officer to deliver an effective loss/ pilferage/ theft prevention scheme.
- Excellent ‘chefing’ capabilities and culinary knowledge of all departments within the kitchen operations.
- Good communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Management and Leadership skills
- Good sense of taste and smell
- Results oriented
- Time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Innovative and creativeAbility to multitask and adopt to change within a short time
- Business acumen
- Clean, with good hygiene habits
- Organized, accurate and reliable
- Excellent problem solving skillsTeam player
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Food Production, Culinary Arts or a related field
- Certificate in Microsoft Office Applications
- Must have sound knowledge of food production and kitchen managementConversant with cost control reports
- Knowledge of stock control system
- 3 years working experience in Food Production
- At least 2 years in kitchen managerial experience Sous chef, head chef or executive chef
- At least 5 years’ experience within the industry working for 4 star and above establishments
Method of Application
If you meet the outlined requirements please send your application, including a cover letter, current Curriculum Vitae with telephone contacts of 3 referees and testimonials quoting the job title on the email firstname.lastname@example.org (subject Executive Chef)