If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC East Africa and Yemen (EAY) operation focuses mainly on populations affected by displacement in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Yemen and regional mixed migration flows. DRC aims to create a synergy between the different humanitarian aid and development projects in EAY – both in terms of geographical coverage and types of activities implemented in support of refugees and populations displaced or otherwise affected by conflict, consequences of climate change and natural hazards in the region.
ABOUT THE JOB
The role of the Team Leader – Livelihood and Self Reliance and scholarship is to ensure development and implementation of the livelihoods programming in Dadaab/NEP, which is efficient, accountable and measurable. There will be some degree of travel within the camp complex and probably within the region and working with partner institutions. Key responsibilities include: Ensuring overall coordination of DRC’s livelihood portfolio, which includes business development/enterprise development training, operations of 3 community training centers, revolving fund operations, group savings & loans, microfinance linkages, micro value-chain development; Other roles include livelihood program coordination, overall coordination of DRC’s scholarship portfolio, which includes professional, technical and vocational training; and staff supervision/training/mentoring, and executing DRC’s NEP livelihoods strategy and contributing to tactical planning, livelihoods mainstreaming in the DRC Kenya program and development of new livelihoods projects in Dadaab. S/He is expected to be familiar with the international development agenda and to be aware of the operational issues related to general livelihoods, governance, and policy issues in the region.
This position will also require regular travel to project sites located in Lagdera, and Fafi Districts of North Eastern Province.
To support the Kenya country programme in managing livelihoods program through the implementation of DRC’s Livelihoods and Scholarship training programs in Dadaab operations and its environs. This will include taking the lead and full participation on the livelihoods program assessment, project design, implementation and advocacy as well as representing of DRC on various livelihoods working groups and fora.
- Supervise participatory needs assessments and identify appropriate livelihood interventions to increase incomes for the local and refugee communities and reduce poverty in the target areas.
- Oversee business development skills and numeracy/literacy skills trainings among selected target groups in the region.
- Oversee the field implementation of Group Savings and Loaning (GS&L) activities in local and refugee communities with emphasis on promoting group development through support, coaching, mentoring, regular feedback and identification of investment needs and opportunities.
- Participate in the development and oversee the implementation of selected micro value-chains within the Dadaab program.
- Participate in periodic program review and planning meetings; and external meetings as often as requested by the supervisor.
- Play a key role in implementing the DRC scholarship policy to increase skills and knowledge in livelihoods security of displaced and host population households.
- Support the development of the skills development component and ensure that lessons learnt are fed into the design of livelihood programs, donor responses and technical forums.
- Provide technical leadership to ongoing skills development components with a focus on cost-effectiveness, building a solid evidence base and moving them to scale.
- Through direct technical assistance provision, build the capacity of program and partner staff to identify, design and implement quality post-secondary education interventions.
- Integrate multi-sectoral considerations into skills development programming, with a particular focus on linkages with health, education, and legal protection concerns.
- Supervise management of Transit Centres to ensure adequate supply of water, maintain high standards of hygiene and ensure provision of meals to returnees.
- Manage the flow of information in relation to preparation and issuance of cash assistance to returnees.
- Promote collaboration and synergy between the DRC host community project (HCS) and the similar projects/groups in the Dadaab refugee camps.
- Ensure the effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning processes for the livelihoods program.
- Ensure project staff adhere to HAP Principles in day to day project implementation; participate in HAP audits.
- Serve as the liaison with stakeholders and relevant Government of Kenya departments – from the location to divisional levels.
- Assist in developing concepts and proposals for the Dadaab program. Take the lead on Livelihoods development and Scholarship/training activities.
- Supervise and coordinate internal and external reports as requested by your supervisor.
- Other duties assigned by the supervisor.
DRC CORE COMPETENCIES
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with experience in livelihoods program design and implementation. You are an effective people manager and enjoy working with teams of committed staff to build collaboration and capacity in support of country operations.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborating: You lead initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while setting high standards
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Minimum of five years spent with a humanitarian/development actor.
- At least three years INGO/IO livelihoods program work experience.
- Ability to train and convey information to livelihoods team.
- Skills in micro-business/enterprise and value chain program design and implementation.
- Prior experience working with county governments and other duty-bearers in the implementation of livelihoods interventions.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other relevant computer applications.
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise.
- Budget management experience in NGO context,
- Background in Livelihoods/Food Security Program design and implementation,
- Fluency in English and knowledge to Somali Language is advantageous.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC
Availability: As Soon as possible
Duty station: This a national position based in Dadaab.
Reporting: This position will report primarily to the Dadaab area manager with and also closely working with Head of Program at Nairobi.
Contract: 8months contract with possible extension.
Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of National staff.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications should be sent no later than: 28th May, 2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply