Essential knowledge and interests
Proven interest and competency in at least three of the following themes:
- Education and training
- Social research and evidence based policy
- Gender and social inclusion
- Conflict analysis
- Knowledge management
Essential qualifications and skills
- University qualification at Masters level in a relevant subject.
- Minimum of six years’ relevant programme and organizational management experience in the development sector or relevant field.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and proven capacity to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Experience of conducting and managing research.
- Experience of working in the international NGO Sector.
- Proven operational and project management experience.
- Experience of developing and managing organizational budgets.
- A team player with proven management and leadership experience, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience of developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Able to travel.
Desirable experience and skills
- Knowledge and working experience in one or more countries where RVI works.
- Spoken and written French and/ or one or more language of eastern Africa.
- Experience of working with donors and proven success in fundraising.
- Knowledge and practical experience of designing and implementing research.
- Good presentational and facilitation skills.
- Human resources management.
Programme Oversight, Development, and Coordination
- Supervise and support the management of existing RVI programmes in Africa, developing working practices and tools for effective project management and implementation.
- Coordinate and support exchanges and synergies between programmes.
- Provide strategic leadership, and support RVI staff in the design and development of new projects and proposals.
- Support the development of relations with project partners and collaborations with other like-minded regional and international organizations.
- Develop and maintain systems for monitoring the quality and impact of RVI’s work, including standards of research.
- Ensure documentation of projects, including narrative reports, budgets and lessons learnt reports, and promote best practice in these areas within the Institute.
- Maintain oversight of programme budgets, monitoring income and expenditure and ensuring that financial reporting complies with RVI’s procedures and policies and the requirements of funders.
- Participate in projects as a researcher or project manager where your services are specified in the proposal or are otherwise appropriate.
- Support and advise the RVI education team in the design and implementation of existing training courses and the development of new ones.
- Advise and assist in the peer-review, author management, editing and preparation of RVI publications.
- Work with the Executive Director to advance the development and operationalization of the Institute’s strategy, in consultation with colleagues, Trustees and Fellows.
- Oversee the development and implementation of RVI’s annual work plan, together with programme managers and other staff.
Partnerships, Collaborations and Networking
- Cultivate and expand RVI’s network of international consultants and regional specialists, and collaborating institutions, including regional and local NGOs and educational and research organizations.
- Represent RVI in external engagements with government and civil society actors.
Personnel Management and Development
- Line manage RVI Programme Managers.
- Work with staff to identify organizational staffing needs.
- Support the professional development of staff through structured trainings.
- Assist in the recruitment, hiring and supervision of staff and consultants.
- When required, prepare and approve job descriptions of programme personnel.
- Deputize for the Executive Director as required.
Fundraising and Communications
- Support the expansion and diversification of RVI’s funding sources.
- Work with Programme Managers to identify new projects and funding opportunities, and prepare funding bids and proposals that fall within the aims of the Institute and support the long-term development of RVI’s programmes.
- Negotiate and conclude funding agreements with funders.
- Monitor the implementation of programmes, and develop tools and systems to do this.
- Ensure compliance with donor contract requirements, and RVI’s own internal policies and procedures.
- Represent RVI in discussions with funders, international organizations and officials from governments of the countries in the region, and at seminars and conferences.
- Publicize RVI and raise its profile in the region through participation in public events, official functions and media appearances.
- Maintain an on-going analysis of political, social and economic developments in the regions and countries where RVI works, ensuring that RVI’s programmes, operations and strategies are informed by this analysis.
- Ensure reporting on RVI programmes is completed on schedule and is of expected quality.
- Oversee preparation of monthly narrative and financial reports for RVI internal circulation.
- Chair weekly meetings of Nairobi-based RVI staff according to an established schedule, and bi-monthly meetings with programme managers.
- Assist in the collection and addition of new contacts to the RVI contact database and updating of existing contacts.
- Maintain contact and calendar data in Daylite or other database software used by RVI; file documents appropriately in RVI Dropbox or other RVI online storage systems.
- Assist in the creation, testing, revision and updating of manuals, templates and guidelines related to the areas of responsibility outlined in this job description.
- Ensure that RVI’s programme of work is delivered in a safe and secure manner.
- Monitor the security situation in countries where RVI works.
- Develop and update RVI security protocols in consultation with staff and the Executive Director.
- Ensure adherence to security protocols and procedures for programmes in Africa.