If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Orkidstudio is a social enterprise based in Nairobi, Kenya, and working across East Africa and Zambia. Orkidstudio creates high quality, affordable and healthy buildings, through an exceptional end-to-end design and construction process, which use local materials and promote opportunities for women.
Orkidstudio is looking to grow its team by bringing on a Finance Director to create, enhance and ensure successful ongoing financial growth and management for Orkidstudio’s full scope of operations. The successful applicant will be able to work within a dynamic and highly challenging startup environment alongside a talented and committed team driven by social impact and creating high quality, affordable and healthy buildings.
Are you a skilled leader who is talented in financial management? Are you motivated by working in a dynamic startup environment? Do you have a passion for contributing to community empowerment through your work? Orkidstudio wants YOU.
Reports to: Executive Director
Minimum Experience: 10 years in relevant professional employment
Detailed Job Description:
The Finance Director shall sit on the organisation’s Board of Directors in a key decision-making role and shall report to the Executive Director. The Finance Director will be responsible for managing the Finance Team which currently consists of a Finance Manager and an Assistant Finance Manager. The Finance Director will take responsibility for the delivery of accurate and high quality management information while organising and contributing to the leadership of the financial growth of the organisation.
The ideal candidate will have experience in similar level financial management within the construction industry (non-essential);
- Have a detailed knowledge and expertise in accounting and financial management, including: budgets and forecasts, financial modelling, book-keeping, reporting, and analysis;
- Trained in commonly used industry software (MS Office/ Quickbooks Online) and an aptitude for learning new software;
- Strong leadership skills and confidence creating and implementing financial systems and ensuring compliance and successful operation across our organisational structure;
- Key managerial skills, developing and motivating teams of all levels;
- Have a problem-solving, strategic and entrepreneurial mindset, able to perform at a high level with complex challenges at pace;
- A proven relationship builder with the ability to confidently pitch Orkidstudio’s vision and financial model to prospective investors, funders and clients.
- Ensuring full administrative and statutory compliance, including tax obligations, payroll, and all statutory and legal requirements within the local business and relevant industry sectors;
- Financial management, including ownership of Orkidstudio’s financial plan, ensuring performance targets are met and cashflow management is clear and accurate;
- Financial risk management;
- Construction Project Financial Management – ensuring accountability and performance of all project team members to deliver accurate and detailed accounts.
- Financial forecasting, building organizational budgets and business plans, in collaboration with the Board of Directors;
- Monthly/ Quarterly/ Annual reports on organizational finances and key performance indicators;
- From time to time, providing support on fee/ bid preparation and business/project plans for prospective clients;
- Ensuring that the flow and accuracy of information between Project Teams and the Finance Team is properly managed and that financial information required by the Project Teams is provided within a timely manner;
- Awareness of company secretarial responsibilities;
- Represent Orkidstudio externally with bankers, auditors, other professionals, clients, key suppliers, investors and funders;
- Lead, develop and evaluate the Finance Team at Orkidstudio.
- Social Impact:
- Value Orkidstudio’s mission and demonstrate commitment to ensuring social impact goals are met across the organisation;
- Support to develop innovative and rigorous business and financial models for specific social impact ventures or projects being undertaken by Orkidstudio, such as our Women in Construction training program;
- Assist with evaluation of social impact metrics, particularly those relating to financial impacts
Desired Candidate Profile:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience, in accountancy or financial management. Experience in a similar level position (Finance Director/ CFO) will be considered a bonus, as will professional experience in Kenya/ Africa and the construction industry.
- Degree qualified with a strong academic track record. Other qualifications (e.g. MBA) are a bonus.
- Professionally qualified accountant (e.g. CA, ACCA, ACMA), and registered with a relevant professional board or body a plus (non-essential).
- Passionate about developing communities and social impact.
- Entrepreneurial, independent and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
Salary: Negotiable, to suit experience of level of candidate and stage of development of Orkidstudio
Benefits: Private Health Insurance (all staff) & Annual Flight Home (Non-Kenyan staff only)
Full-time permanent contract, with 3 months’ probation
30 days flexi-holiday, inclusive of statutory allowance
Method of Application
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
As well as understanding your experience and suitability for the role, please make sure to tell us WHY working for Orkidstudio and pursuing a career which delivers social impact is important to you. We also want to hear why you are the best person for this role and why the challenges of this job appeal to you.
We look forward to hearing from you!