Heshima Kenya is a nonprofit organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting and empowering unaccompanied refugee minors, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs.
Work closely with the Project Coordinator, refugee artisans (in Kakuma) and the RefuSHE artisan collective team in Nairobi in the production of the handbag collection while at the same time, ensuring that the quality, timely production of the handbag collection is not compromised.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organizes for and facilitates training activities for refugee artisans, which are geared towards enhancing the production of signature, refugee-made product lines that will enable current and future refugee artisans in Kakuma to make their contributions and economically benefit from the proceeds of the same.
- Imparts the requisite skills and knowledge that will ensure all engaged refugee groups build transferable group development, management and leadership skills necessary to successfully carry out a production process, and that they are empowered to apply this learning across their lives.
- Builds refugee artisans’ understanding of product development and production and to set-up sustainable production systems that enables them to meet orders that pass quality assurance standards.
- Device and roll out innovative ways of production geared towards improving the livelihood capacity of vulnerable refugees who face higher risk of SGBV.
- Provide the technical production advice in a bid to ensure the effective and efficient utilization of resources to avoid wastage.
- Provide a technical advice on the maintenance of all production equipment so as to reduce breakdown and ensure good working order.
- Creates and maintains effective liaison with RefuSHE’s procurement department to provide them with information on inventories and ensure timely delivery of materials.
- Keep abreast with latest production/market trends and identify ways in which the same can be incorporated by the refugee artisans as they go about the production activities.
- Initiate and promote safe practices in the production process and ensures compliance with RefuSHE’s health and safety standards.
- Initiates and support continuous production improvement programs.
- Prepares comprehensive daily and monthly reports (to RefuSHE), detailing the production rates, any gaps identified and possible solutions that can be applied in sealing these gaps.
- Prepares a comprehensive post-project summary to RefuSHE.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Degree in Textile Design or Fashion Design.
- 2-3 years’ experience in textile production and workshop management.
- Demonstrated ability to work with artisans and/or cooperatives, and implementing quality control measures
- Ability to travel to Kakuma as needed
- Experience with raw material sourcing in Kenya
- Sensitivity to working with refugee populations
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to keep abreast with emerging trends in textile production and market demands.
- Knowledge of Outlook email and communication platforms, such as Skype & WhatsApp.
Method of Application
Your application should be sent to the address below indicating the position applied for in the email subject by close of business Thursday 12th July 2018. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Ps: Please note that Heshima Kenya does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. Heshima Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
NB. All applications should only be sent through the email provided.
Heshima Kenya/ RefuSHE
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted*