If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 July 2018
For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Kenya Country Officer, the direct supervision of Senior Resources Management Officer, and in close consultation with Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in Headquarters (HQs) and Manila ICT Service Centre, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of Information Technology (IT) network and infrastructure projects in the duty station and the coordination of IT assistance to Missions in sub-Saharan Africa ,as well as provide advice to missions on relevant and effective technology to be used in accordance with IOM’s ICT standards and policies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead the IT support for The United States Refugee Admissions Programme (USRAP) and Global Health Assessment Projects (GHAPs) funded projects in Sub-Sahara Africa by organizing activities and operations of ICT staff; support recruitment of local ICT staff and oversee the implementation of ICT projects.
- Propose, plan, design, implement and maintain an integrated mechanism for data and information management, including various in house and third-party applications across all mission activities to ensure most effective and efficient processes to deliver timely, accurate and reliable information for operational, monitoring and reporting purposes. As applicable, do not duplicate and integrate with corporate and central systems and reporting mechanisms.
- Champion and support the implementation of IOM corporate applications in field missions' such as Migrant Management Operational Systems Application (MiMOSA), PRISM and others.
- Manage and maintain network WAN and LAN infrastructure, desktops and associated equipment in the IOM Kenya Country Offices and provide technical advice to missions in Sub-Sahara Africa to maintain compliance with IOM standards.
- Ensure regularly and in close coordination with the Resources Management Unit in the Kenya Country Office that the budget planning is incorporated in project and mission budgets including IT staffing, infrastructure, replacement, upgrade, and maintenance needs.
- Train and supervise national IT staff in the Kenya Country Office including sub offices.
- Monitor, propose and implement all necessary modifications in compliance of the information management systems and infrastructure as per IOM IT policies, standards and best practice for high performance, reliability and information security.
- Provide technical troubleshooting and configuration of Tele-radiology IT infrastructure to ensure seamless data exchange between the Missions and the Tele-Radiology Hub in Nairobi and Manila.
- Coordinate with Logistic and ensure proper technical specification for purchase of IT related equipment and propose most suitable solutions including innovation, recommendations for improvement.
- Plan and supervise the installation, operation and administration of security for the various systems and network components including: virus protection and Internet security. Make sure to use innovative approaches to ensure users are educated about phishing, Password Cracking, Malwares, and etc.
- Provide Backup and Disaster Recovery Plans for mission databases and Email data.
- Organize and administer user support services for all staff in the Kenya Country Office and ensure proper response time in troubleshooting and resolving of all IT related issues.
- Build relationships and liaise with local IT partners, suppliers and providers.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems, or related area;
- Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking. Ability to prioritize tasks and strong organizational skills. Ability to develop clear and concise proposals. Ability to supervise and direct staff under critical and stressful situations. Effective problem-solving approach, ability to work in a cross-divisional team and ability to quickly understand IOM business processes;
- Knowledge of Software & Systems Development Life Cycle and experience in managing applications development and/or support teams;
- Experience configuring and working with Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, required;
- Extensive knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Messaging Systems;
- Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities; holder of CCNA and/or a
- Microsoft Certification a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of IT Service Management frameworks such as ITIL, COBIT.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Kiswahili is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration (IOM) career website on recruit.iom.int to apply