If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Department: Operations/East Africa Regional Office
Reports to: Deputy Regional Director (DRD)/MQ
Location: East Africa Region (EARO)
Job Summary: The CRS/EARO region, is comprised of 6 Country Programs (CPs) -- Ethiopia, Kenya-Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda; EARO has a total FY18 budgeted program value of $206 million. While several EARO countries are among the most stable in Africa, others are entangled in violent conflict and political instability, consequently impacting the stability and security of the region. The Republic of South Sudan and Somalia continue to face considerable conflict and civil war. Increasingly, pockets of unrest have been breaking out in certain parts of Ethiopia.
You will provide Safety and Security technical solutions to the EARO region and country programs for strategic planning, program design in staff safety and security areas, and design of monitoring and evaluation systems including the provision of training to staff. The Technical Advisor leads the development of agency standards and strategies for Safety and Security and guides the region on their implementation. Collaborates with relevant national and international security agencies and providers, through relationship building, information sharing representation and advocacy.
- Security Operational Leadership:
- Provide technical leadership and coordination to EARO CP teams to ensure that appropriate security systems and procedures are in place and are fully operational.
- Provide international, Regional and local security intelligence, expertise, as well as strategic and technical input to all EARO CPs in the development and management of all Safety and Security Plans.
- Improve and drive the threat assessment and risk analysis process; carry out regular threat and vulnerability assessments, review and monitor compliance, and amend working procedures accordingly. Ensure that all staffs are aware of any changes in the security situation.
- Develop information systems to provide analysis of potential threats to CRS programs.
- In close collaboration with the EARO DRDs/and Technical Advisors , assist the EARO CP's in developing appropriate Safety and security plans for program design.
- Technical Assistance:
- Liaise with other members of the CRS global security community and security staff from peer agencies for additional sources of technical or training assistance, best practices learning, etc., Provide training and technical assistance to EARO CPs on security management decisions and processes, including supporting security threat assessments and risk reduction workshops.
- Advise Regional Director and DRD/MQ on EARO-level security management decisions, policies and practices. monitor open sources and cultivate personal sources of information, news and analysis around safety and security trends in the region; share relevant informational items with regional and CPs senior management and the HQ Safety and Security Director.
- Review, improve and adjust CRS staff tracking systems as necessary and monitor staff compliance.
- Carry out regular threat and vulnerability assessments, and amend working procedures accordingly. Ensure that all staffs are aware of any changes in the security situation.
- Conduct initial security assessments before the opening of new CRS offices/programs, monitor CRS safety portal to ensure Country Programs SoPs, constant companions and other relevant security and safety documents are updated and disseminated .
- Interface with country-level security committees, staff and key contacts from other agencies to update FSPs. Carry out regular assessments to review and monitor compliance. Conduct initial security assessments before the opening of new CRS offices/programs and assignment of staff to a country.
- Systems, Organizational Development and Staff Capacity-Strengthening:
- Support CPs in the recruitment and development of Managers involved in Staff safety and Security.
- Maintain and facilitate virtual regional country level security point persons. Organizing and participating in relevant learning events for relevant staff.
- Assist CPs in the definition of roles and responsibilities for staff Security for organizational/departmental efficiency and staff performance accountability.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: EARO Deputy Regional Directorm Regional Director, EARO, EARO Country Representatives; EARO regional technical advisors;, HQ Safety and Security Director, ERT Security RTA, and General Services Officer.
External: international and local partner NGOs, US, local Catholic agencies, US Embassy RSOs within the region; contracted security service providers, security officers of other international NGOs operating in EARO
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's preferred.
- Formal technical training in security and safety is a plus. Past management roles with INGOs in unsecure environments is a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and advocacy skills. Ability to lead by influence and knowledge, rather than hierarchical authority.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and provide technical assistance, training, within an adult learning framework to CPs.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people, provide exceptional customer service while managing multiple priorities.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the Catholic Social Teachings and their application to relief and development work. Adherence to the CRS values-based behaviors.
- 5 years of relevant working experience in an advisory or management role, contributing to or managing projects in multiple regions- preferably in East Africa; including safety and security.
- Previous relevant experience in a regional or complex country advisory role required.
- Knowledge, or ability and willingness to learn CRS management and program tools and frameworks, adhere to all CRS policies and guidelines.
- Mental/Physical Requirements: Approximately 50-60% travel, primarily within East African countries, and sometimes in remote areas with minimal amenities; often with short notice.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff): These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Language Required: Must be fluent in written and spoken English, Arabic is a plus.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Catholic Relief career website on recruiting.adp.com to apply