If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Hashi Energy Limited - We are the oldest locally-owned oil company in Kenya and have grown over the years to become a leading importer and exporter of refined petroleum products in East and Central Africa region. Our business now extends to provision of other non-fuel related services in the region.
Our operations extend from Mauritius to Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia, Dubai, Southern Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. We place great value on attracting and retaining the best people at all levels to ensure the continued success of the organization.
As a result of continued growth and in order to position ourselves to be the leader in energy solutions and other services for Africa, we wish to appoint a qualified individual into the position of Legal Counsel.
The position is based at our Head Office in Nairobi but supporting the group of companies.
Main Purpose of the Job: The mission of the Legal counsel will be to provide legal advice and support in corporate and commercial, company secretarial matters as well as in compliance and regulatory affairs to the business as an independent assurance on the effectiveness of the internal control framework.
In addition, the jobholder will be responsible for internal stakeholder management in the various functions.
Key summary responsibilities include:-
Working hand in hand with the Head of Group Legal & Corporate Secretarial Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Provision of legal advice and interpretation services to various business lines to guide in corporate decision making across the group.
- Provide transaction support on legal matters to various teams thus in negotiation, drafting and reviewing of agreements to protect and optimize interests of different companies.
- Management of conflict with business partners and bad debt recovery.
- Risk assessment and auditing of processes, documents, business plans to ensure compliance with the law, corporate policies and goals.
- Maintenance and updating corporate documents and records to ensure institutional memory.
- Education and empowerment of staff on legal matters to ensure compliance and optimal performance.
- Monitor any changes to laws and regulations and advise on the likely impact so as ensure compliance.
- Handle any other assignments allocated by the head of function
Education and professional requirements:-
- Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B) from a recognized University (Upper Second Degree)
- Be in possession of a valid Practicing Certificate for 2018
- French proficiency (will be an added advantage)
- At least 2-3 years’ work experience in corporate and commercial law within a busy corporate environment or a commercial law firm.
Skill and attributes requirements:-
- Commitment to work across cross functional teams
- Should demonstrate good interpersonal & communication skills
- Broad business awareness
- Excellent leadership skills
- Negotiating Skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple assignments at a time
- The Legal Counsel role will be positioned in the Legal Department within Hashi Energy Group reporting to the Head of Group Legal & Corporate Secretarial Services
- He/she will also work closely with the managers at various subsidiaries and projects within the Group.
Method of Application
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org