If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Root Capital’s mission is to grow rural prosperity by investing in small and growing agricultural businesses that build sustainable livelihoods in Africa and Latin America. Root Capital is a specialized agricultural lender that grows rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often, thousands of farmers.
Since their launch in 1999, they have provided more than $980 million in credit to over 550 small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital envisions a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru and Kenya.
About the role:
The Portfolio Manager in East Africa is responsible for developing business and managing a portfolio of clients; analyze loan applicants using rigorous financial, environmental, and social criteria; present loan analysis to Root Capital’s internal and external credit committees for decision; close loans, including ensuring complete documentation; monitor existing loans to ensure timely repayment; as a client relationship manager coordinates all Root Capital activities within his -her portfolio (such as training and technical assistance on financial management)
- Business Development (20%)
- Develop a pipeline of qualified loan candidates in East Africa (mainly Rwanda, Uganda, and Kenya). Develop networks of referrers, including value chain actors, technical assistance providers, and trade associations. Present Root Capital’s credit offerings to and invite loan applications from qualified businesses.
- Assess client’s credit and advisory needs and recommend appropriate mix of Root Capital services
- Actively managing and maintaining a pipeline of loan opportunities.
- Underwriting and loan closing (30%), with support from the Nairobi-based credit analyst
- Collect information about loan applicants as specified by Root Capital’s credit policies
- Ensure that all proposed loans meet Root Capital’s criteria for credit quality and security
- Perform due diligence to verify client information, including conducting site visits and management interviews
- Conduct financial, operational, and management analysis of applicant companies, working with the credit analyst in Nairobi
- Work closely with Credit Administration in relation to transactions involving third party lenders. Communicate and negotiate terms as required.
- Prepare credit memos, present analysis, and make credit recommendations to Root Capital’s credit committees for decision-making, following Root Capital’s credit underwriting policies and processes
- Apply Root Capital’s social and environmental impact criteria. Support Root Capital’s portfolio servicing personnel to close loans, including ensuring proper documentation.
- Client Relationship Management (30%), with support from the Nairobi-based credit analyst
- Monitor active loans, working with the credit analyst, to analyze client performance, track compliance with covenants and reporting requirements, and develop risk ratings.
- Lead communication with Root Capital clients to address identified deficiencies in active loans. In heightened risk situations, collaborate with Risk Manager to devise and implement a collections strategy.
- Customer Service management, facilitating and coordinating with Credit Admin. and Treasury for all loan servicing needs, resolving customer issues as they arise.
- Management and development of Credit Analyst (10%)
- Set work plans and performance expectations, and provide ongoing and timely performance feedback to credit analyst
- Ensure credit analyst has the information, resources, tools, and support to be effective and motivated.
- Advisory Services (10%)
- As necessary, collaborate with the Advisory Services Manager in Nairobi to address financial management weaknesses of prospective and existing clients as necessary by facilitating training provision through qualified local consultants
- Help to develop a training plan, and work with local trainers to ensure effective implementation.
- University degree in Business Administration (MBA), finance, economics, or related field, or equivalent experience is desirable
- More than 7 years of experience working in agricultural, commercial, and/ or SME finance, in Kenya and/ or elsewhere in east and southern Africa. Lending experience with strong credit skills or investment analysis is necessary.
- Management experience a plus
- Experience with small and medium enterprise (SME) or agricultural lending is desirable.
- Professional experience or academic qualifications related to agricultural value chains is desirable
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, establish and maintain deadlines, and coordinate with multiple people across the organization.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary. Additional knowledge of financial software is a plus.
- Strong interest in the field of socially impact investing. Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Willingness to travel to rural areas of East and Southern Africa.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and writing) in English. Fluency in Kiswahili is also desirable.
- Highly organized and high attention to detail. .
- Proactive, service oriented attitude.
- Authorized to work in Kenya
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Root Capital career website on www.linkedin.com to apply