If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Farm Africa is an innovative charity that reduces poverty in rural eastern Africa by helping farmers grow more, sell more and sell for more: we help farmers to not only boost yields, but also gain access to markets, and add value to their produce. We place a high priority on environmental sustainability and develop approaches that help farmers to improve their yields and incomes without degrading their natural resources. Our programmes vary hugely, ranging from helping crops farmers to boost harvests, livestock keepers to improve animal health, and forest coffee growers to reach export markets, but core to all of them is a focus on the financial sustainability of the farmers’ businesses and environmental sustainability.
LOCATION: Elgeyo Marakwet County (Kapcherop office) with extensive travel to the field & other offices when requested
DURATION & HOURS: Fixed term & full-time, renewable based on performance and availability of funds
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To assist Farm Africa staff with their transportation requirements for meetings, workshops, field visits and running project errands.
Responsibilites for the Driver Job
- To transport Farm Africa staff on official duties safely and responsibly
- To drive staff and carry out errands within Elgeyo Marakwet East area according to the daily and weekly work schedules developed by the project coordinator
- Prepare for field visits and identify the locations before the travel
- To drive staff within Kenya and the East African region as requested by the project coordinator if need be
- To request adequate funds for fuel and other vehicle expenses at least 3 days before a long journey.
- Banking and payments of cheques when requested
- Sourcing for quotations and procurement of goods in consultation with the project coordinator and in line with the procurement policies of Farm Africa
- Sourcing for quotes and procurement of goods in consultation with the Programme Accountant
- To be responsible for the management of the assigned Farm Africa vehicle
- To ensure that the vehicle log book is completed for all journeys and private
- mileage is clearly labelled as such.
- To conduct or oversee minor day-to-day repairs in the field.
- To complete a weekly vehicle check sheet and report any defects timely to the project coordinator.
- To ensure that the vehicle is serviced as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- To arrange major vehicle repairs as required and to obtain quotes for any purchases or repairs according to the procurement rules of Farm Africa.
- To maintain the cleanliness of the car.
- Assist with office work if necessary
- To play an active role as a member of the Farm Africa Kenya team
- To communicate with respect in line with the Farm Africa code of conduct.
- To participate in monthly (full) staff meetings for the project and the whole Farm Africa team.
- Assist with reception cover if requested.
- Assist with preparation and setting up for workshops, meetings and any other project activity.
- To complete an annual appraisal with the project coordinator
- Any other duties as requested by your line manager
- KCSE certificate
- Certificate of good conduct
- Minimum 3 years off road driving experience including 4WD Previous NGO work experience
- Vehicle maintenance and management
- Clean driving licence
Skills & abilities
- Communication, both verbal and written Adaptability
- Motivation Team building
Method of Application
If you are one of the best at what you do but have grown tired of the bureaucracy and red tape involved in getting it done, then please do send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org because this could be the perfect role for you.
More details about this role can be found in the job description and the deadline for applications is midnight on Friday 10th August 2018.
Note: Farm Africa will not accept third party applications and recruitment consultants are respectfully asked not to get in touch with regards to this role.