If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Uganda, Mercy Corps has been operational since 2006 by focusing its programming on economic development, maternal health, adolescent girls’, livelihoods, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian refugee response
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Operations Manager Kampala
Job Summary: The Procurement Manager will have full oversight and responsibility for the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ Operations Department. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Procurement Manager is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services. The Procurement Manager provides general management and leadership for all procurement functions at the country office level. The Procurement Manager proactively and informatively communicates and coordinates the procurement functions with Mercy Corps staff in the country offices in West Nile, Karamoja and northern Uganda field locations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction of program support department by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Work with the Operations Director and senior management team to support the growth of the program portfolio, formulate strategies and plans.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Interface with government and non-government stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Represents Mercy Corps to government agencies in order to secure necessary permits and documentations.
- Maintain productive relationships with all government, ministries, other stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Work with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
- Be responsible for full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
Operations – Procurement And Logistics:
The Procurement Manager will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Overall responsibility for procurement to ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
- Directly manage all large scale procurements.
- Full understanding of Mercy Corps procurement policies and templates.
- Provide training and development to all procurement staff on these policies.
- Enforce proper use of procurement thresholds and approval procedures.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Assist Program and Operations personnel in regular procurement planning.
- Provide assistance on timely completion of purchase requests and other documentation.
- Establish preferred supplier agreements for commonly used items.
- Oversee the gathering of quotations and bids from the market for purchases as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of Mercy Corps.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program & Logistics Managers.
- Preparation of monthly procurement reports on achievements and deliverables.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files as outlined in the MC procurement policy.
- Ensures that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the Procurement Manual.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Logistics personnel.
- Maintain file on market prices for commonly-bought items.
- Other duties as assigned by Operations Manager/Director.
Finance & Compliance Management: Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves. The Procurement Manager will maintain oversight on the training and personal development of the procurement department staff members.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field, such as Procurement and Supplies Management, Procurement and Logistics Management.
- Eight years of relevant management experience with 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- Sound understanding of procurement, administration, and logistics management systems.
- Commitment to capacity building and team coordination.
- Experience working in INGOs or businesses in operational functions.
- Good organizational and management skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and lead a diverse group of national and international staff.
- Must be able to advise staff on program and office activities and security issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English.
Method of Application
All interested candidates are invited to send their applications enclosing curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates along with the names and contacts of three referees. Applications should be sent by post, courier, hand delivery or e-mail to the address given below; The Director, Executive Recruitment, Future Options Consulting Ltd, 4th Floor, DTB Centre, Kampala Road, P.O. Box: 34934, Kampala, Uganda. Phone: +256-414-231204/206, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 21st September 2018