DAI, a global development consulting firm, seeks applications from qualified candidates for the Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (KIWASH) project.
The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project is a five-year, USAID-funded project to improve lives and health through the development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene services in Kenya. Its purpose is to institutionalize catalytic models of sustainable service delivery for accelerated water and sanitation access in specific target counties and to improve complementary hygiene behaviors.
Summary of Primary Duties
The Sanitation and Hygiene Advisor is responsible for the effective implementation of the hygiene, Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS), sanitation marketing and Behavior Change Communication (BCC) components.
Working closely with USAID, the Government of Kenya (GoK), and other public and private stakeholders, the Sanitation and Hygiene Advisor will support efforts to strengthen institutional capacities of county structures that address hygiene and sanitation issues in the target communities through the implementation of CLTS, sanitation marketing and other tested hygiene promotion approaches.
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of the hygiene, CLTS, sanitation marketing and BCC component;
- Coordinate and maintain effective collaboration with stakeholders (including Government of Kenya and other partners) responsible for delivering hygiene, sanitation marketing and sanitation outcomes and BCC;
- Take leadership for the effective implementation of CLTS, Sanitation marketing and Behavior Change Communication activities implemented through KIWASH financial support.
- Work closely with the Service Provider Capacity Building Managers and the WASH Infrastructure Manager to provide integrated and coherent support to KIWASH interventions;
- Oversee development of technical training material that will improve the different components of Hygiene, CLTS sanitation marketing and BCC within KIWASH;
- Promote Essential WASH Actions (EWA) and their integration into other KIWASH interventions and community programs;
- Manage activities in line with KIWASH strategic direction and specific donor requirements;
- Monitor and evaluate progress in line with USAID Annual Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (AMEP) indicators and guidelines;
- In collaboration with the Senior M&E Manager, develop and implement an M&E strategy to assess Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and BCC program impact;
- Support program Hygiene and Sanitation program managers in the preparation of timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal and external requirements;
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of project reports (technical and financial) for management and donors’ decision making process;
- Synthesis of lessons learned, and documentation and dissemination of best practices on sanitation and hygiene in the target counties.
- Supervises the Sanitation and Hygiene managers for Western and Eastern regions.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work; appraises performance, addresses and resolves problems for staff implementing hygiene and sanitation activities.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Environment, Home Economics or related field required
- 10 years of experience in implementing sanitation and/ or hygiene projects in development contexts (non-emergency.) During this period, he or she will have been involved with project design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated capacity to liaise and negotiate with key stakeholders in other organizations, such as the Government of Kenya, as well as to support and supervise staff.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English.
Base of Operations
- Nairobi, Kenya with travel to Kisumu and project activity sites as needed.
- The Sanitation and Hygiene Advisor will report to the Chief of Party.