If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries
Applications are invited from suitably qualified internal candidates for the following position:
Reports to: Senior Manager – Health & Nutrition (Technical Specialist WASH and Nutrition) based in Nairobi
- Internally - Other Programmes and PSU
- Externally - MoH, Local Partners, UN bodies etc.
- Program Officers-Health and Nutrition (2)
- Logistics and Finance officer
Job Location: Lodwar, Turkana
- One (1) Year Fixed Term Contract Renewable Subject to Availability of Funds & Performance
- Starting Salary of the Pay Grade – Kes 197,077
- Group Pension after Confirmation of Appointment
- Group Medical Cover (Principal + 2 Dependants)
- Group Life Cover
- Group Personal Accident Cover
The incumbent will oversee and provide overall technical leadership to the Health and Nutrition Programme in Tana River County. As Head of Field Office, s/he will coordinate and oversee all Turkana County based Programmes and the Programmes Support Unit
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Health and Nutrition Programmme Management
- Participate in the assessment and selection of appropriate partners for programme implementation;
- Provide organizational and technical support to MoH and local partners in the implementation of High Impact Nutrition Interventions (HINI) and health services;
- Liaising closely with the County health management teams (CHMT) and Hospital Management Teams (HMT) to develop joint work plans and ensure MoH ownership and integration into the existing health systems;
- Work closely with the CHMT to oversee and review the implementation of County work plans and activities
- Support MoH and local partners to strengthen planning, implementation and review of health and nutrition programme activities at the County level
- Work with stakeholders at County level to establish health and nutrition complementary interventions while actively promoting inter sectoral linkages and integration with other programmes as necessary
- Ensure programme quality through active role in M&E of health and nutrition programme interventions including developing and utilizing context specific M&E tools, using data for decision making, field monitoring and joint support supervision
- Monitor the health and nutrition situation in the County including coordination of nutrition surveys, supporting with surveillance and assessments as required
- Contribute to the development of programme strategies and new project proposals
- Develop and implement county level health and nutrition programme budgets, budget revisions, costed work plans among other financial planning tools as required.
- Documentation of the programme process and compiling programme reports including generating lessons learnt and case studies
- Represent Concern at Sub County Health and Nutrition meetings and fora and support advocacy initiatives in line with the programme strategy
- Programme Support and Management/Head of Field Office Duties**
- Manage programme support functions including the day to day running of the Turkana County Concern office(s)
- Monitor programme budget and partner grants and account for expenditure through timely financial reporting
- Provide coordination to all programme activities by channeling communication and resources to all departments at Sub County level
- Represent Concern in relevant meetings and fora at County and Sub County level and supporting advocacy and lobbying initiatives in line with programmes strategy
- County level security focal person
Responding to Emergencies:
- Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
- Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
- Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
- To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
- To support and promote the standards outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies to their team, partner organisations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
- To contribute to the establishment of preventive measures to reduce the potential for abuse in Concern programme
- A bachelor degree in Nutrition and Dietetics or in Health/Nursing with solid experience/background in health and nutrition. A master degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
- At least four years’ experience in health and nutrition program management working on the delivery of High Impact Nutrition Interventions (HINI) and health services; with at least two years’ experience in a supervisory or managerial role
- Solid understanding and experience with integrated program approaches
- Significant experience/knowledge of MoH systems, particularly at County level and working with and through local partners
- Excellent programme planning, monitoring and evaluation, interpersonal and report writing skills
- Fluent in both oral and written English and Kiswahili.
- Proficient in computer applications
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and supervise new staff members
- Proactive problem solver and solutions oriented management style
- Although not required, having an understanding of the context, prior experience working and/or living in Turkana is highly desirable
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
Method of Application
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send a
CV and Cover Letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ‘Manager – Health and Nutrition Turkana’. The closing date for applications is Sunday, 28th October 2018.
Each application must include at least three referees who can validate technical expertise. Telephone contacts must be submitted with the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.