Join the HJF Team!
The Regional Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and representation to HJF and its subsidiaries on matters arising in connection with business operations in Africa. Matters may involve, among other things, support of U.S. federal contracts and assistance agreements, agreements with local suppliers and business partners, compliance with local laws and regulations (including but not limited to laws and regulations relating to anti-corruption, corporate registration and reporting, immigration, clinical research, tax), and local employment and labor law matters.
- Provide advice and guidance to local HJF management and corporate HQ in Bethesda MD on:
- Ethics and compliance (including, but not limited to, compliance with export control regulations and international anti-corruption regulations);
- Various business agreements and contracts;
- Local employment and labor law;
- Immigration law;
- Implementation of corporate policies and procedures;
- International law and business matters;
- Corporate law (including local requirements for registration and reporting)
- Participate in internal investigations as needed.
- Support HJF in litigation, arbitration, mediation and administrative proceedings as needed.
- Serve as HJF’s primary legal resource in-country, coordinating closely and regularly with attorneys in HJF Headquarters in Bethesda, MD.
- Develop and provide training regarding legal compliance matters to operational units in Africa.
- Coordinate and assist with managing local outside counsel as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Educational Requirements: J.D.or L.L.B. from an accredited law school.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: License to practice law in one or more jurisdictions in Africa.
Minimum Work Experience: At least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Excellent analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are required, as well as demonstrated skills in handling complex issues in a timely manner and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Strong preference for experience supporting U.S. based non-profit organizations and/or experience in health care and medical research environment.
Work Environment: Office environment; willingness to travel, including periodic trips to the U.S.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.