RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world.
Under the authority of the COP, responsible for the coordination of technical assistance, transaction advisory, community engagement, and institutional performance improvement activities benefitting host-country governments, regulators, and utilities. The goal is strengthening entities’ institutional capacity to engage in strategic planning, develop performance-based regulation, and design competitive market frameworks conducive to the attraction of investment capital for energy infrastructure projects. Manages a roster of legal, financial, public policy, and regulatory subject matter experts, including both full-time program staff and short-term consultants.
- Lead Objective 1 Team and oversee a team composed of senior advisors to KPLC and
- KETRACO, a KenGen generation advisor; transaction advisors; legal and regulatory advisors; a project finance specialist; and power system planning advisors.
- Lead implementation of targeted transaction support activities such as project design validation, technical due diligence and analysis; community engagement and environmental assessments; key technical and commercial agreement negotiations; financial structuring assistance, capital raising, and securing credit enhancement instruments; and sovereign support negotiations.
- Lead the update of priority projects and transaction support activities, report on the progress toward financial close of the priority transactions in the quarterly progress reports and the annual reports.
- Provide legal support, comments, and recommendations on draft laws, regulations, and procedures related to energy sector reforms and procurement processes, such as power purchase agreements.
- Lead the development of power sector legal and regulatory due diligence analyses and advise regional institutions on the harmonization of national/regional policy agendas, rules, and regulations.
- Lead portfolio analyses and advise host-country governments, transmission system operators, and utilities on the development and use of integrated resource plans and least-cost generation, transmission, and distribution expansion plans.
- Advise host government and relevant institutions on international best practices for the development of competitive clean energy project procurement, development of a renewable energy auction framework, and development of utility reform and unbundling and/or privatization programs.
- Lead the design and delivery of electricity sector planning and regulatory and policy reform activities.
- Develop IPP and PPP models that reduce transaction costs through standardization and harmonization of program documentation.
- Assist utilities in building the capacity of their PPP units, developing bankable PPP projects, and advocating for changes in the PPP framework to accelerate projects reaching financial close.
- Provide technical assistance to the line ministries, parastatals, and rural electrification agencies on the development of policies and incentives to stimulate the deployment of off-grid energy services.
- Validate the selection of priority projects, develop SOWs for approved transaction support activities, implement targeted transaction support activities, build sustainable local and regional capacity in transaction advisory, and update the list of priority projects and transaction support activities.
- Engage high-level counterparts at energy ministries, regulatory commissions, and rural electricity agencies to facilitate the work of embedded and other technical advisors.
- Provide legal advice for power sector reforms with a focus on strengthening the independence of regulatory bodies, updating energy market laws, and refining grid codes and other market rules.
- Provide professional transaction support on large and small IPP projects and support their financial closure and high-level discussions with the government regarding the investment enabling environment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to RTI International career website on rtiint.referrals.selectminds.com to apply