To date, Energy 4 Impact has provided support to over 4,300 small and micro businesses in Africa, delivering energy access to over 17 million people in off grid areas and creating over 10,000 jobs. Our ambition is that by 2020 we will have enabled 20 million people to access clean and reliable energy. Energy 4 Impact operates from regional offices in Kenya, Senegal, Tanzania, and Rwanda and is supported by a small UK head office in London.
Reports to: Head of Communications
Expected start date: ASAP
Purpose of the Role
The aim of this role is to enhance the profile, reputation and visibility of the organisation regionally and internationally and among our stakeholders and target audiences by identifying, capturing and disseminating knowledge, learning and insights from the implementation of our programmes. In addition the role will identify and distil best practice examples within the organisation to improve the implementation of Energy 4 Impact’s portfolio of work and business development activities.
Working within the Head of Communications, the Director of Programmes, the Programmes and Country teams, the Knowledge Management Specialist will identify, capture, write and disseminate knowledge and learning, as well as external market and development trends on key international development topics of strategic importance to Energy 4 Impact, both inside and outside the organisation.
S/he will turn complex information into compelling articles, craft think pieces, infographics, presentations, fact-sheets, key messages, and briefings. At the same time, s/he will strengthen the profile of the organisation and increase stakeholder engagement through online, social media and other suitable channels.
The Knowledge Management Specialist will also provide advice and support for business development, including on how best to position Energy 4 Impact and on how to package knowledge and insights to produce effective pitches targeting donors.
- Work closely with the Director of Programmes and the Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning to develop a knowledge management methodology and embed knowledge management activities in core processes; and build the capacity of key staff to identify, capture and share knowledge.
- Work across teams to identify learning and facilitate knowledge exchange with E4I’s staff, partners, clients, donors and other stakeholders through knowledge activities and products. This will be done through in-person and virtual events, knowledge products and other activities.
- Lead the production and dissemination of knowledge and learning products in collaboration with the Communications and Programmes team. This includes research studies and reports, success stories, key lessons, best practices, case studies, industry insights; and package information clearly so to produce insightful content for a variety of channels and audiences.
- Identify opportunities for developing newsworthy and trending stories, think articles, opinion pieces, and actively seek opportunities to achieve positive coverage and increase stakeholders’ engagement and awareness of our work.
- Market knowledge products to maximise their visibility among target audiences at events, webinars and through industry networks and online channels.
- Identify speaking opportunities for key staff (at events, webinars, etc.) and prepare talking points/ briefs for speakers.
- Monitor and measure the impact of engagement and dissemination activities.
- Support the production of factsheets, infographics, and presentations and corporate publications (i.e. e-newsletters and the Annual Report).
- Support the Business Development Manager to write and package compelling capacity statements, pitches and presentations aimed at donors and investors.
- Keep fully abreast of trends, news and developments from outside Energy 4 Impact in the renewable energy/energy poverty field, other initiatives by private companies and other NGOs, so that communications efforts can be better streamlined and be more impactful.
- Keep staff informed of positive developments in the organisation, as well as relevant industry developments and events.
- Graduate or Postgraduate in Renewable Energy, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, English. A degree obtained in Anglophone countries would be preferable.
- Excellent English language skills and proficiency to quickly write and edit complex communications products with clear structure, clarity of ideas, and logical, persuasive presentation. A good knowledge of French would also be an advantage.
- Outstanding research, analytical and presentation skills, a high level of attention to detail; ability to evaluate and to appraise critically quantitative and qualitative information; ability to think strategically and to rapidly analyse diverse information from varied sources.
- Proven experience in writing and publishing well researched, thought provoking, compelling copy for blogs, publications, presentations, websites and social media channels.
- Good all-round knowledge of a broad range of communications and dissemination channels: events, social media and other online/offline media outlets.
- Highly collaborative and able to build and nurture strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative, ownership and accountability to meet deadlines, work under pressure, balance competing demands and achieve agreed-upon results.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in similar roles.
- Understanding of planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting.
- Excellent planning and time management skills.
- High level of computer literacy, primarily in Microsoft Office packages and graphic designs softwares (Photoshop, Canva, Prezi, etc).
- Previous experience in energy / climate change in an international development context is an advantage.
- Team player – able to forge productive, collaborative relationships with colleagues internally and externally.
- Approachable, flexible, creative and with willingness to accommodate other people’s ideas.
- Ability to travel in country, regionally and internationally sometimes on short notice.
- Empathy with Energy 4 Impact’s mission, and values, with a high level of corporate commitment, demonstrated by an ability to take decisions and to act in the best interests of the organisation.
To apply please send your CV plus a cover letter (in English) outlining how your knowledge, skills and experience match the job specification to email@example.com to reach us by latest 20th December 2018.
Energy 4 Impact is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.