Fairview Hotel Nairobi is a member of the City Lodge Hotel group. Fairview Hotel combines comfort and style to suit both business and leisure travellers.Excellent access to Nairobi’s CBD and the city’s main airports.
Aim of the role: As the professional wine waiter, the sommelier will be responsible for creating and updating the wine list in coordination with the Executive chef and the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager, recommending food and wine pairings and advising guests on wines based on their personal tastes and food choices.
Outline of Responsibilities:
- Create and update the wine list in coordination with the Executive Chef and the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
- Recommend food and wine pairings
- Advise guests on wines based on their personal tastes and food choices
- Inform guests about different varieties of wines and prices
- Ensure wines are served at the right temperature and within the proper glassware
- Store open bottles properly to maintain strong taste
- Manage our wine cellar and ensure it’s fully-stocked
- Train waitron staff on available wines
- Negotiate purchase prices with vendors
- Advise on wine tasting days and other wine promotional events
- Comply with all health and safety regulations
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned to you as a waiter.
- Attends all training sessions as scheduled.
Replacement and Temporary Mission
- May be assigned to perform reliever duties when need be.
Basic Conditions and Benefits of Employment:
- These are in line with normal company policies and practices, specific details will be communicated to an applicant should he/she qualify for consideration.
Line of Reporting and Communication:
- Responsible To: Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
- In Communication With: Other Hotel Departments and guests
Education, Training and Experience Requirements:
Level of Literacy
- Must be able to read and write in English & Kiswahili.
- A foreign language will be an added advantage.
Level of Communication Skills
- Must be in possession of excellent communication skills
Level of Formal / Professional / Education & Training
- Certification as a Sommelier or degree in hospitality is an added advantage
Level of Experience
- 2 years experience as a Sommelier, Wine Steward or similar role
- Ability to create tasteful food and wine pairings
- Extensive knowledge of different wines and which regions produce each type
- Knowledge of local vineyards and wineries
- Understanding of the winemaking process
- Availability to work during opening hours, including weekends and holidays
Method of Application
If you meet the specified job requirements, please send your CV and Cover Letter to the Human Resource office not later than 15th January 2019 on FHR@clhg.com