The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is a not-for-profit organisation with a mission of making available, to smallholder farmers, agricultural technologies that were previously not accessible to them. AATF also works to address some of the obstacles to technology access and delivery across the food value chain from research, production, processing through to market linkages. A priority area is to improve Africa’s seed system where one bottle neck is Foundation seed. To mitigate the problem of Foundation Seed supply, the vital missing link in the maize seed value chain in most SSA countries, AATF established and is now incubating a foundation Seed company called QualiBasic Seed Company (QBS). With QBS being 1.5 years in operation, AATF, the current shareholder, is now looking for assistance in developing a framework for the future optimal shareholding and governance structure of QBS to become sustainable, independent and adequately capitalized.
Qualibasic Seed Company
QBS was operationalized by the AATF in 2017, with grant funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, to offer a commercially sustainable foundation seed supply solution to seed companies in Sub-Saharan Africa. The solution will ensure the subsequent production of quality certified seed by operating a centralised system that manages foundation seed production, quality control and storage, in a highly effective and efficient way. QBS benefits from economies of scale and applies rigorous processes to its foundation seed production, based on similar models in other parts of the world such as the USA and India. This specialised and highly focused foundation seed supply model has helped these countries not only address critical quality aspects but also to ensure high productivity. In addition, this model of doing business saves seed companies cost and seed production failure risks and builds a good reputation among end users. QBS has its headquarters in Nairobi and is also registered in Zambia and South Africa where it has operations and staff.
At present, all the shares are held by AATF. It is anticipated that up to 35% of the shares will be held by AATF, strategic incubating partners such as CIMMYT and management in terms of a long-term incentive scheme, with the remaining 65% by strategic shareholders (not yet determined).
PURPOSE AND APPROACH OF THE CONSULTANCY
The main purpose of this consultancy is to develop a framework for an optimal company ownership model and capitalization structure for QBS to become independent, sustainable and adequately capitalised by 2022.
Specific Objectives of the consultancy
Below are some key questions to be addressed:
SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant in consultation with AATF, QBS and BMGF will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
· Submit to AATF the final framework model and sustainability report on optimal ownership, capital and governance structure for QBS. The plan to attract new investors should be included in the final report.
EXPECTED PROFILES OF THE CONSULTANT(S)
Interested consultants should submit detailed technical and financial proposals (not more than 5 pages) covering:
The proposal should be accompanied by the below as annexes:
TIMELINE AND ESTIMATED CONSULTING DAYS
This consulting assignment is expected to begin by end of January 2019 and to be completed no later than April 30, 2019. It is estimated that the number of consulting days would be 30 and that there is no travel needed to interview stakeholders. These will be done virtually. There will be travel needed to meet the project team from AATF and QBS for inception and final report presentation depending on the location of the consultant.
EVALUATION AND AWARD OF THE CONSULTANCY
AATF will evaluate the proposals and award the assignment based on technical and financial feasibility. AATF reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal received without giving reasons and is not bound to accept the lowest or the highest bidder.
Applications should be submitted to AATF Procurement Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 21st January, 2019 with the subject head ‘’Sustainability and Ownership- QBS‘’