If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Deputy Head of Logistics Department (Somalia), based in 50% Nairobi and 50% Somalia. The role reports hierarchically to the Head of Logistics Department
The Deputy Head of Department of Logistics will support the Head of Department Logistics in the management of logistics operations at mission level and represent HoD during absence. The responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Provision of operational and technical support to capital (Nairobi) & base logistics departments with sound competency and technical knowledge.
- Monitoring and facilitating the supply chain management process with full responsibility.
- Security follow-up and risk analysis for staff, property and premises.
- Active role in opening and closing of base, field visits, assessments and emergencies.
Mission 1: Support the Logistics Head of Department
- Manage the Mission’s Supply Chain
- Identify measure and master potential risks in the supply chain and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Ensure audit-readiness by Supporting the efficient & exhaustive circulation, filing & archiving of procurement documentation as detailed in AAH KitLog logistics manual
- Support bases in the project cycle management (Project Procurement Planning and Reporting)
- Replace provisionally or support the logisticians on the base whenever necessary.
- Identify team-training need and recommend to the HOD for facilitation.
Mission 2: Supply Chain Management
- Centralize, manage and process all Supply Chain Management activities according to ACF internal rules and procurement procedures.
- Regularly update the procurement follow-up, and provide regular updates to all the relevant departments.
- Identify impediments to the procurement processes and recommend practical and measurable corrective measures
- Manage Supply plan and Project Procurement plan to ensure price, quality and delivery is optimal.
- Ensures documentation and audit readiness for all purchase dossiers and log activities.
- Ensure a proper and collaborative liaison with the finance department.
- Work proactively to maintain and grow a robust Suppliers list and price list (catalogue)
- Ensure a smooth purchase flow by developing framework agreement with suppliers/manufacturers/contractors wherever possible.
Mission 3: Provide necessary support to the bases in all Logistics aspects according to the specific objectives and needs identified.
- Provide Logistics support to the bases on day-to-day basis.
- Provide temporary replacement of field logistics personnel in case of emergency/ temporary need.
- Take part in logistics assessment during emergencies and new base opening.
- Consolidate and review monthly, bi-annual and annual logistics reports, keeping strict adherence to the reporting calendar.
- Provide the training to new staff; introduce the ACF Logistics procedures & tools.
Mission 4: Maintain contact with the administration and technical departments.
- Facilitate the communication with Administration and Programs with proactive role in term of planning and anticipation.
- Facilitate logistics & procurement meetings with technical & finance team in regular manner.
- Participate actively in Project Design, Procurement planning with Project Managers and Technical Coordinators.
- Any other logistics task assigned by HoD Logistics.
Qualifications/Skills & Experience:
- Graduate in Logistics / Operational / Supply Chain Management, Business Administration or equivalent. Professional qualifications from accredited institutions such as CIPS an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of professional working experience in similar position & Humanitarian Logistics sector at managerial level specifically dealing with International procurement, Freight, Warehouse management
- Have a keen understanding of export processes and INCOTERMS in general
- A keen understanding of the Somalia context with readiness for frequent travel to Somalia
- Demonstrate excellent logistics capacity assessment skills
- Demonstrate excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent communication skills & networking skills
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Coping with high workload, irregular working hours and sometimes challenging working environments.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Demonstrate team spirit
- Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct
Method of Application
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 26th January 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. VA 002/2019: Deputy HOD-LOG.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.