CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on genetic resources of potato, sweetpotato, and other Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement, integrated crop management and sustainable management of natural resources.
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking an experienced Project Management Assistant to work in the Project Management Unit.
The Position: The Project Management Assistant will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and report to the Project Management Specialists. This position will ensure that Projects and Finance team are provided with timely, accurate and effective information and support in relation to a wide-range of analytical and administrative support duties.
Implementation and Compliance
- Assist project team with management and implementation of project deliverables in liaison with Project Management Specialists;
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with internal CIP Programs, Regions, DCEs, and operations managers and other project partners;
- Assist in tracking projects’ annual budgets and forecast while working with project managers to explain variance, and make needed programmatic course corrections if necessary;
- Assist in reviewing Project Status Reports to ensure strong monthly financial oversight;
- Assist in reviewing invoices/reports from project partners, challenge or approve as appropriate;
- In liaison with Project Management Specialists, supports Project Leaders with contractual management, linked to the Grants and Contracts unit.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist in monitoring progress against project output and provide feedback and action steps to Project Leader to achieve project objectives.
- Organize and maintain shared knowledge portals for supporting projects (KM Hub, websites);
- Ensure consistent and proper use of the International Potato Center brand;
- Liaise with donors and customers to exchange necessary project information in liaison with Project Management Specialists;
- Coordinate with Program Leaders to communicate relevant project information throughout the organization.
Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, or Financial Management, or Operations or related field;
- Knowledge of Accounting and budget principles;
- At least 1 year of professional experience in Project management / accounting/finance/administrative area;
- Proficient in MS Office, especially in Excel;
- Knowledge in software solutions (ERP) preferred;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- Fluent in Kiswahili.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a 3-month probation period) and the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.