Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa), is a consciously feminist and women’s human rights pan- African Fund, registered in Nairobi, Kenya. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic presence in Africa’s five sub-regions- East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura, Burundi; Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe and West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grant making mechanism to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative and unique initiatives that promote women’s agency in democratic governance, economic and environmental justice, natural resources governance, conflict transformation and justice processes while protecting their personhood, integrity and rights.
The position ensures efficient ICT support to the Fund and maintains the Fund’s database. The candidate advises on the effectiveness of current ICT infrastructure and how it can be improved, providing consistent and professional technical IC T support to all UAF-Africa staff and Board stationed in various locations on the African continent.
- ICT Support
- Assist in the design and launch of UAF-Africa’s intranet;
- Proactively monitoring ICT Infrastructure to ensure availability and reliability in support of organizational operations. This involves reviewing of recurring incidences, service availability and adherence to SLAs/ (internal & external);
- Provide first level IT user and technical support;
- Undertake installation and administration of server hardware and software including diagnostic and troubleshooting of workstations, laptops, other ICT equipment, including network (LAN/WAN);
- Responsible for ensuring the administration and coordination of user setup, access permissions/rights, configurations as per the set guidelines;
- Providing management with advice on the most suitable ICT choices;
- Ensure security of the network through implementing, tracking and monitoring ICT security controls (Firewall, Antivirus, network access permissions, access control); monitor the network for security breaches and respond to cyber-attacks;
- Undertake frequent data back-up and installing security applications;
- Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time;
- Conduct systems analysis to identify user requirements, required system functions and recommend suitable approaches and implementation tools;
- Coordinate technical development, testing, and implementation of systems in outsourced systems development projects;
- Research and recommend ICT enabled solutions in response to emerging user needs for new systems or changes to existing systems as required;
- Set up new and maintain existing systems in accordance with established standards and project/operational requirements;
- Keep inventory of hardware and maintenance records;
- Ensure all ICT equipment is accounted for and control issuance of new equipment;
- Proactively identify user needs and coordinate procurement for ICT and related network, hardware and software;
- Carry out routine preventive maintenance duties on items of ICT hardware, including the cleaning of equipment and electrical safety
- Establish good working relationships with service vendors such as software developers and IT equipment providers.
- Developing an ICT Policy document.
- Data Management
- Revamp and maintain the Fund’s database and ensure it is regularly updated;
- Organize information in an easy to retrieve manner and ensure its safety;
- Periodically review stored data and update where need be.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent qualification;
- Professional certification in Servers, Networks, Hardware or Databases.
Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in ICT support and system administration role;
- Experience in supporting Server Systems (Windows, SQL, VM), supporting Windows Desktop Operating Systems, Network (LAN/WAN) setup and administration;
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems;
- Training in productivity tools within Microsoft Office;
- Critical thinker, sound problem-solver who pays great attention to detail with high levels of accuracy;
- Have good analytical and reporting skills.
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment managing competing priorities and reprioritizing tasks as needed;
- High levels of personal initiative; reliability, flexibility and follow-up;
- Passionate about UAF-Africa’s mission, committed to teamwork, and achieving results;
- A demonstrated commitment to women's human rights and/or social justice;
- Some feminist conceptualisation and understanding an added advantage;
- Excellent command of English language written and oral skills-French language skills an added advantage.
This is a regional position that involves some regional and international travel;
The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya;
UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices;
In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF-Africa actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Method of Application
Please submit cover letter, and resume to email@example.com with “ICT & Database Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.