If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Trócaire works in partnership with local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where: people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected; basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably; people have control over their own lives; and those in power act for the common good.
Since July 2011, Trócaire has supported a humanitarian response in South Kordofan, Sudan. The context in the Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan is one of protracted and chronic insecurity; prolonged conflict and displacement which has had a severe impact on the food security of the population of South Kordofan.
Trócaire has a small team based in Nairobi to support this programme implemented by a partner organisation since July 2011. In recent years the programme has moved beyond health and nutrition to support food security, livelihood and WASH interventions.
Through a capacity building and accompaniment model, Trócaire supports local partners in all aspects of programme quality and MEAL, financial and supply-chain management. Implementing a gradual transition in the programme towards resilience-building and sustainability is a priority.
This role is to provide effective programme management of Trócaire’s Humanitarian Programme in South Kordofan, Sudan. The role technically supports the partner in meeting humanitarian, accountability and institutional donor requirements, with a particular emphasis on monitoring, evaluation and learning.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the Humanitarian Manager – Operations, this is a Fixed Term Contract of 2 years and is based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to the programme areas in the Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan.
The successful candidate is expected to spend 10-12 weeks a year in the programme area. The candidate will coordinate and provide effective programme support to Trócaire’s Humanitarian Programme in South Kordofan which is implemented in partnership with a local partner organisation and ensure effective design, implementation and monitoring of projects, and in capacity building to ensure the programme is in line with Trócaire programme quality and accountability standards and delivers on commitments made to donors.
The candidate will be responsible for the management of the programme in line with the organisation’s values, objectives and approach to international humanitarian standards and donor regulations.
Safeguarding Programme Participants Policy:
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of programme documents, including programme proposals, budgets and programme reports in line with donor regulations and international humanitarian standards
- Liaise with Trócaire’s humanitarian unit at HQ, to ensure compliance with organization policies and procedures throughout the programme cycle
- Support the partner to meet their reporting schedules ensuring that reports are in line with approved budget and funding requirements and compliant with Trócaire and donor regulations
- To regularly monitor the implementation of projects funded and assess the impact of programmes and their contribution to wider organization strategy.
- Management of a multi-donor budget
- Track the status of project implementation in regard to donor compliance, documentation, learning and sharing;
- To support in periodic reviews and evaluations of Trócaire funded partner implementation work in the programme area of where the partner is operational.
- Facilitate learning amongst the partner and ensure that this is captured and shared.
- Support partner capacity to respond effectively and to drive related advocacy work
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Carry out regular visits to partner offices and the programme area to ensure ongoing oversight of the Trócaire funded projects as appropriate
- In line with the M&E Framework support in developing and putting in place appropriate M&E systems for the partner to gather the information needed in a timely fashion and enhance accountability and protection mainstreaming
- To support in periodic reviews and evaluations of partner implementation work in the programme area.
- Support in the completion of the Annual Programme Review process ensuring that the review provides clear evidence of progress and challenges and that it meets internal and external reporting requirements.
- Support in undertaking any planned mid-term and end of programme evaluations and audits in line with the organisational policy
- To support and advise partner organisation through training, focusing on organisational development and project implementation issues affecting partners.
- To identify the technical learning needs of partners and organise appropriate responses to achieve capacity-building to an agreed level over an agreed period of time.
- To support in developing and managing relationships with partner organizations and donors including strategic partnerships such as Caritas organisations.
- To develop relationships with and represent Trócaire to key organisations and networks relevant to Trócaire work, especially CIDSE, Caritas and coordination mechanism.
Information and Knowledge Management
- To keep Trócaire’s Programme Management Database (Salesforce, Agresso) up-to-date for the programme in line with organisation policy.
- To keep informed about situations and humanitarian issues in Sudan and to provide monthly situation reports and analysis to management and partners.
- To undertake any other activities reasonably requested by the Humanitarian Manager - Operations
Person Specification – The ideal person will have
- Third level qualification in Development, Humanitarian or related field of study
- At least three years of demonstrable experience in coordinating humanitarian programmes of substantial scale
- Significant experience in programme and budget management for multi-sectoral programmes
- Significant experience in grant management including proposal and report writing for institutional donors and Results Based Management
- Strong knowledge and experience of Programme Cycle Management, particularly M&E
- Experience in applying humanitarian standards, including Sphere and the Core Humanitarian Standards. Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: Food security and livelihoods, WASH, Health, Education and/or Protection
- Experience in procurement and supply chain management
- Knowledge of and/or experience in security management
- In-depth understanding of programming in a partnership model, working in a partnership-based NGO
- Experience of working in insecure environments
- Strong team-working skills and experience
- Demonstrable experience of working to attract institutional donor funding and of managing large and complex donor grants
- Excellent coordination and management skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to relate across different organisational functions, structures and levels, and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate and manage a multi-sectoral programme in line with international humanitarian standards and donor compliance
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and financial systems on a significant scale in humanitarian contexts
- Ability to manage a complex workload through robust planning and setting priorities
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Ability to coach and support partners to develop in their professional capacity
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge and competence in effective use of ICT
- Understanding of, and empathy with, the role of the Catholic Church in development
- A strong commitment to social justice, and an empathy with the ethos and work of Trócaire
- A commitment to civil society strengthening and support for working in partnership with local actors
- Ability and willingness to travel to field for an extended period of time and to HQ in Ireland
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Trocaire career website on www.trocaire.org to apply