If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Heifer International does so much more than put food in the mouths of hungry people. Heifer helps people feed themselves. The goal of every Heifer project is sustainability - project partners achieving self-reliance
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The position is responsible for establishing and managing relations with media representatives within Kenya, including providing background information on Heifer Kenya Country Program and supporting the documentation and dissemination outputs of all the Country Projects. The position is the foremost lead in the development of quality promotional materials for the Country Program and projects that include brochures, fact-sheets, annual reports and their printing and circulation to ensure the availability of the best materials for all projects and the Country Program to increase the visibility of Heifer International work in Kenya. The position facilitates media access and promotes Heifer International Kenya visibility through publicity events and workshops, the dissemination of appropriate publicity materials in the press, print and electronic media and facilitating media access to increase the exposure of the Kenya Country Program. The position is also responsible for ensuring that projects information is packaged, disseminated and utilized by appropriate users in conformity with Country Program Strategy and Heifer International communications procedures. The documentation and dissemination of project lessons, experiences and impact will be shared with the relevant target communities, including policy makers, development practitioners and academics.
Essential Character Traits
Analytical, pragmatic, self-motivated, attentive to details, creative, collaborative, responsive and team player.
Responsibilities And Deliverables
- Communication, coordination and Stakeholder Management (30%)
- Design, develop, Communicate and implement a communication networking strategy for Heifer programs.
- Collect and share program information including program background, successful stories and best practice with media.
- Coordinate and facilitate project and organization activities such as visits, events, study tours, etc.
- Develop connections with media representatives for directing their interests to Heifer accomplishments in Kenya.
- Provide recommendations to senior management staff on media strategies, public statements and other information matters.
- Develop and nurture good working partnerships and linkages with NGOs, government agencies, local institutions including and other like-minded organizations to advance the mission of Heifer.
- Review project and organization documents before been shared with externals.
- Participate in relevant platforms and networks, to advance Heifer visibility.
- CPO communication strategy in place and is reviewed and updated at least twice a year reflecting country and project communication priorities e, g project impact studies, Heifer 75-year anniversary, project closure.
- Operationalize the communication strategy through the agreed work plan to ensure total involvement of all Country Office and Project staff and key audiences in the Programme value chains (monthly milestones achieved).Develop and implement media dissemination and outreach strategies with communication focal points of the respective projects and partners on a quarterly basis.
- Manage and deliver a programme of communication activities including launch events, radio and television features, press releases, impact stories.
- Timely dissemination on information.
- Good working relationship and linkage is maintained with Government, media, NGO’S and other stakeholders.
- Annual, quarterly, and Monthly reports are produced in a most professional manner and submitted timely.
- Systems of information flow and communications is established and maintained.
- Communications materials are produced in the most accurate attractive way.
- Communications Resources Development and Promotion (30%)
- Design, write, edit, produce and distribute simple and/or complex communication products (e.g. newsletters, progressive report, short note series, brochures, Web message) and communicate consistent and coherently strategic messages about Heifer and its activities.
- Four quarterly newsletters developed and distributed.
- Annual report final proofing and layout to ensure impact, and coherence of information and data.
- Project and Country Office success stories developed and disseminated periodically.
- Heifer activities and successful stories are known to farmers, government, stakeholders and the community at large through production and distribution of promotional materials.
- Review all existing IEC (information, Educational and Communication material) and if needed develop additional tools, using different media options on a quarterly basis.
- Lead internal and external learning processes (15%)
- Oversee establishment of local learning platforms in the project areas.
- Oversee organisation of field days and exchange visits between project and operational areas.
- Coordinate development of organization and project technical manuals.
- Publish articles in relevant newspapers and journals.
- Organization and project beneficiaries are well conversant with the intervention in question.
- Job aid kits on various organization and project activities developed.
- Project support (10%)
- Facilitate capacity building program to program staff on communication parameters i.e. success story write-ups.
- Support in gathering information for report as required.
- Document and communicate project activities such as POG ceremonies, monitoring and evaluation activities, launch and closeout
- Identify staff capacity development needs in communications biannually, and train them in use of communication equipment, writing skills, media relations etc.
- Periodically ensure that communication plans and activities are implemented on time and within budget.
- Maintain an up to date database of organizational information with clear filling system for safety and easy access (which may include the use of appropriate platform/software).
- Project activities and events are documented in a most accurate and professional manner.
- At least four success stories and best practices produced and disseminated.
- Managing of Communication materials (10%)
- Ensure responsive communication to Heifer’ partners and stakeholders concerning Heifer’ events.
- Maintaining and updating communication and networking files.
- Maintaining communication materials such as photographs, films (both soft and hard Copies) and recording materials such camera.
- Strengthen Heifers branding and visibility with the government and development community.
- Communication and information materials are well managed and remain in best quality at all times.
- Assets are safeguarded and well managed.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder database.
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Carry out other duties that may be assigned to you in interest of Heifer International.
Bachelor’s in public Relations, Mass Communications, Development Studies or related field, plus three (3) years of related experience. Proven knowledge and experience in the field of PME and communications, of agricultural development, Natural Resource Management and Climate Change is essential.
- Master’s degree in the similar filed preferred with at least 2 years of practical working experience in communication and networking, knowledge of PME, agricultural development, Natural Resource Management and Climate Change plus Work experience in NGO world is an added advantage.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify information.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, environment, natural resources management, climate change and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of Heifer.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and Kiswahili oral and written.
Essential Job Functions And Physical Demands
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Tanzania.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms) floor-to-waist.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Heifer International career website on heifer-openhire.silkroad.com to apply