World Vision is a global community of millions, working together for one purpose: to change the lives of vulnerable children.
Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children enjoy good health, be educated for life, experience love of God and their neighbours and are cared for, protected and participating. Together we share proven, worldclass development methods to bring food, water, education and economic change.
By working with communities to protect children from violence and neglect, caring for them in emergencies, and challenging everyday injustice, we enable self-sufficient communities to make real, lasting change. Driven by our desire to serve God and make a lasting impact in the world, we’re a people that know no bounds or borders – anyone with the will to make positive change for children shares our vision. The more of us there are, the stronger we become, and the bigger our impact will be. JOIN US
Purpose of the position:
Ensure successful implementation of the BORESHA project within Mandera County as per the proposal and provide necessary technical support, related trainings, follow-up, and guidance to the staff, targeted community members, stakeholders and partners and also provide feedback and reports to the Project Manager including National Office within stipulated timeframes with the aim of contributing to improved child wellbeing outcomes within Mandera as guided by the National Office Strategy, the L&R Technical Approach as well as the L&R Technical Program among other key documents.
- Project Design, Implementation and Monitoring 50%
- Responsible for the implementation of the all activities in the livelihoods and resilience project with focus on DRR in partnership with partners within the Consortium.
- Contribute to effective and timely implementation of Community Led-DRR interventions and initiatives with communities and partners.
- Mobilize and sensitize representatives from line Government ministries, County Government and other stakeholders to proactively take part in strengthening community resilience to shocks.
- Develop and impart necessary trainings for staff, community members and partners related to DRR strategies and community based approaches.
- Jointly with partners carry out vulnerability and capacity assessment exercises and develop and update hazard risk maps.
- Develop and maintain networks with external actors in the Triangle and across the border on DRR, Early Warning/Early Action and emergency response/recovery.
- Support the contingency planning process including cross border disaster preparedness and response interventions.
- Liaise with the Project Manager, and the DRR/DM Coordinator to effectively support the project to carry out all measurements – baselines, assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations - in accordance with WV established standards, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager and Project l M & E Officer to ensure that appropriate controls, monitoring and evaluation tools are in place and being utilized in a timely manner in the project measurement.
- Monitor and support the timely and appropriate utilization of budgeted resources for all BORESHA project’s DRR interventions.
- Participate in concepts and proposal development and general resource mobilization/acquisition.
- Quality Assurance - Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation 30%
- Compile the necessary monthly, quarterly and annual reports for forwarding to the Project Manager, and NO based DRR/DM Coordinator capturing the progress against approved work plans and budgets.
- Attend the regular weekly and monthly planning meetings as called upon.
- Regularly document success stories, key learnings/innovation for sharing across the partnership.
- Develop context specific electronic and live media communications on community DRR activities.
- Ensure the Project design document is updated as per DME standards.
- Enhanced Empowerment & Capacity Building 15%
- Mobilize and sensitize community for empowerment & sustainability.
- Establish specific capacity building methodologies for effective delivery & sustainability of project interventions.
- Build the capacity of partners on COVACA (FBOs, CBOs, DRR and EW/EA Committees).
- Together with partners, conduct regular reflection and learning events.
- Others 5%
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Cluster Manager, and Project Manager or designees.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for WVK to strengthen DRR initiatives in the Northern corridor
- Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Minimum of a Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, Disaster Management, Community Development or in a closely related field from a recognized university
- Minimum of two years of work experience in community development and related sectors
- Excellent Computer skills;
- The holder of this position must be results orientated leader who is able to handle a heavy work load;
- Knowledge on Disaster Management and Resilience Building initiatives will be an added advantage
- Excellent project management skills and a good understanding of the project life cycle – PMD Pro;
Effective in written and verbal communication in both English and Kiswahili
A team player, capable of building staff and community capacity on disaster risk management
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, and emotional maturity
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
- Working experience in implementation of disaster risk management projects or related community based projects;
- Experience working with NGOs and ability to cross Mandera Triangle Borders will be an added advantage
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to World Vision Kenya career website on careers.wvi.org to apply