If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
HelpAge International (www.helpage.org) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working to promote the rights and meet the needs of older women and men, nationally and internationally.
Our long-term vision is to establish a global movement of strong connected age focused and older people led platforms in every country in the world. Only by collaborating together can we achieve a world in which all older people can lead dignified, active, healthy and secure lives. We aim to extend the reach and influence of the HelpAge Global Network to all those in a position to help bring about our vision for older people – including Governments, regional institutions, policy makers, development partners, the private sector, UN organisations and academic institutions.
Kenya, a country of approximately 50 million has about 1.8 million older people.
The Government of Kenya over the years has been developing various policies and programmes aimed at improving the wellbeing of older persons and has the potential to play an important role within Africa and international forums advocating for older persons rights.
In Kenya, HelpAge International has been working closely with various ministries of the Government of Kenya and other partners to develop relevant policy framework and programming for older persons focused on the issues of social protection, health and emergencies.
Based in Nairobi with frequent travel to field sites
As part of the team the Project Officer will be responsible for mobilizing and coordinating partner level work, reporting, financial and programme Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning of the HelpAge International’s AFD and Maxwell Harvey funded health projects in Kenya funded.
The post holder will be responsible for mobilizing and coordinating partner level work, reporting, financial and programme Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning of the HelpAge International’s AFD and Maxwell Harvey funded health projects in Kenya funded.
- Project management
- Responsible for coordinating project activities in Kenya by supporting partners to manage all aspects of project cycle including planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure that the quality of the programs/projects is maintained through an effective monitoring system and that accurate data and information on best practices is documented.
- Ensure project narrative reports are prepared and submitted on time using donor reporting requirements.
- Track/monitor day-to-day progress against project milestones and activities, against scheduled work plans and overall project objectives;
- Proactively manage change to continuously improve service delivery, in accordance with timelines and budgets.
- Partner Management
- Manage partner contracts and be responsible for ensuring compliance to the
- Terms and Conditions of the Grant as agreed with the donor and HelpAge’s internal contract management policies and procedures
- Oversee that local implementing partners are discharging their responsibilities, live up to stipulations stated in the partnership agreement and take appropriate action to correct any deviations
- Work with partners to identify needs for technical support and capacity building and help facilitate the provision of these needs
- Promote shared learning and collaboration between partners by facilitating partner networks and meetings
- Finance and Reporting Management
- Assist partners in preparations of budgets and expenditure forecasts
- Ensure project budgets are regularly tracked, deviations identified, investigated and corrective measures taken promptly
- Monitor project expenditures and ensure budget is strictly adhered to, financial procedures are observed, and all supporting documents are provided
- Ensure partners submit timely financial returns, prepare and submit project financial reports to compliment narrative reports
- Ensure that partners manage and utilize project assets as per HelpAge’s policy
- Follow-up with partners on implementation on internal or external audit recommendations that affect their individual projects
- Representation, Advocacy, Information and Communication Management
- Represent HelpAge at various forums, meetings and advocate for ageing issues, health and policies
- Be proactive in providing information, case studies, interesting news stories etc relating to the projects the Officer is responsible for.
- Participate in health advocacy activities in Kenya including, Age Demands Action, UHC day and World Health day.
- Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field – Public Health, Community Health, Nursing or clinical medicine
- 5 years’ work experience in an NGO environment implementing health programs
- Experience supporting subawards
- Strong understanding of the organization and structure of the Kenya Health systems and structure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in compiling, producing and disseminating information
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Strong M&E skills
- Strong numerical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of team
- Ability and willingness to be administratively self-supporting
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country and the region if required
- Good IT Skills
Knowledge and interest of ageing, older persons’ health and wellbeing issues will be an advantage
Method of Application
Interested candidates to send their curriculum vitae and cover letter detailing how they meet the criteria for this role to email@example.com by 26th March, 2019.